What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Cap Sighting

chrispratt

Well Known Member
You never know when a VAF cap sighting will occur. Here’s me after my second COVID vaccine injection. Shot (literally) :rolleyes: at Methodist Medical Center, Dallas, TX. Moderna is the juice of choice. Let’s hope it works.

Congrats Chris.. I managed to finally get mine a little over a week ago..

I recently purchased an RV12 and keep it down at 35TT, south of FTW.. Are there any regular get togethers for RV owners in the DFW area?

Congrats Chris.. I managed to finally get mine a little over a week ago..

I recently purchased an RV12 and keep it down at 35TT, south of FTW.. Are there any regular get togethers for RV owners in the DFW area?

Joe:

Welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy your RV-12. With COVID hanging over our heads this past year I wouldn't say that there are any "regular" get togethers. But I am sure that as restrictions continue to ease up there will be more regular calls for fly-in lunches and breakfasts, etc. Monitor this site for announcements to meet at some of the following favorite spots.

Hard Eight BBQ at Stephenville (KSEP) Airport. This always draws a crowd from North Texas and a few from down South. Restaurant is a quick walk from the FBO.

Pelican Landing Restaurant at Lake Texoma (3T0). Well maintained grass runway on the lake. My favorite spot. Restaurant is a pleasant half-mile walk from the AirStrip. I love the word Airstrip. Since you have a nose-dragger, be careful here as the strip slopes upward from East to West. If you're new to grass flying ask around for an instructor who can check you out.

Red Barn Cafe, Sulphur Springs, (KSLR). Be prepared to wait to be seated. Traditional breakfast and lunch menu. Pancakes and omelets for breakfast (I always order the short stack), burgers and club sandwiches for lunch, etc. Restaurant is right across the street from the FBO at the South end of the airport.

Graham, Texas (K???) is a bit west of Jacksboro. Haven't been in a while so check first. I think there's still a Dairy Queen across the street.

If you want a little farther away trip, try Llano, TX and Coopers BBQ. There's usually a Ford POS available to borrow for the short drive into town. Some of the best BBQ I've eaten.

When it reopens, the Diner at Fredericksburg, TX is worth it just for the ambience.

Too many others to mention. The beauty of the RVs is their speed so that none of these are all that far away.

If you like camping, also keep an eye out for special fly-in get togethers such such as Reklaw (Walker, TX) (open to all makes and models of aircraft), and Petit Jean (Arkansas) RVs.

Hopefully that will get you started. As I said, monitor this site, check the State postings for Texas that you'll find in the Forums list (upper left corner of this page), contribute to Doug Reeves so he can feed his lovely family, and use the search function to view some previous get togethers in the Texas area. I hope to meet you soon.

Chris

Back