-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Electronic Ignition Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
So, on a simpler level, why are you using a plug that degrades in 25 hours.
As mentioned in the original post, I have dual P-Mags. Page 8-9 of the Emag Install manual. See attached image. They do admit they haven’t personally tested them, but it’s one of the few recommendations in the manual. Thanks for your opinions though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Also, regardless of what professor Busch says, I do most of my cruise at 30* LOP.
That’s fine, to each their own engine. I just know what I like and think works with my Carbureted engine... I don’t think 30* LOP is completely wrong but I think 60-90* is better if you’re not running high MAP (which I don’t when LOP).

But that’s not even what this thread was about. I’m just asking about this different plug, ya know, experimental aircraft? I’m not completely re-inventing the wheel, just wondering if there’s maybe a slightly better shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FE46988-3244-41BF-8E13-1657F996D21F.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	8561  

RV-4 N249P
O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, Short legs, Manual Flaps, GRT Sport EX

Last edited by Jvon811 : 02-20-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 02-20-2021, 01:03 PM

As anybody ever used the Mazda rotary engine plugs?

BR8EQ

More like a plane plug.

Althoug the gap might be a problem
Old 02-20-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvon811 View Post
Right, that’s my point. I can do 30* but not the usual 60-90* I can get with new/clean plugs. Im also a Mike Busch subscriber of LOP Ops and I don’t really hang out in the 30* LOP area too much.

I’m not necessarily looking for everyone’s plug advice, I know what I like and what works just fine. And I’m not saying they wear out, I’m not saying they run bad, at all. But I CAN tell a difference between fresh clean plugs and 25-50 hour plugs when going real deep LOP. I could clean them (maybe even media blast them as long as they’re cleaned really well) or just buy a ~$20 set of new plugs for the bottoms and be on my way...

My question is simply if anyone knows anything about these Ruthenium plugs. What’s makes the special. Could it help keep LOP ops running cleaner longer? I’m talking like 98th percentile stuff, that’s all...
Something I have noted in both aircraft I have owned about running LOP. They each would run much better LOP at lower altitudes. Current aircraft is butter smooth as lean as I want to run it below 7500. Above that I start to lose LOP capability. Prior aircraft was about the same. Current aircraft is a IO540 and does need better injector balance. (.5 GPH)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:18 PM

Default Carburated or Fuel Injected

Are you all discussing fuel injected engines? I think it would be helpful to mention the type of carburation used on your engine when comparing spark plugs, LOP, and EGT's.

Last edited by mfshook62 : 01-07-2022 at 01:23 PM.