What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van’s stall kit and GAP 26 Pitot?

JMFord

I'm New Here
I’m installing the regulated GAP 26 pitot tube with AOA. Since it provides AOA to the G3X, will it also provide stall warning? Does this mean I do not need to install the Van’s stall warning kit?
G3expert?

Stall warning

Alot of builders are excluding it, I did. Tried to remove it from the Vans kit and was turned down. Apparently, safety related equipment cannot be dropped.

Same - tried to remove the stall warning, VANS wouldn't allow it. Not going to install it. Have AOA.

Don't install the stock unit...once calibrated, the AOA is all you need.

I agree, but note the caveat: “once calibrated”. If there is a first-flight issue requiring an immediate return, you’ll be making that first landing with no operating stall warning device.

I didn't but mud daubers are evil.

I didn't install it, but the only thing that gave me pause was the potential for a pitot static issue. The Garmin AOA works well, and provides a reliable stall warning as long as the pitot static is working.

The tab provides a low speed warning in case of a pitot/static failure which is useful to the distracted or unfamiliar pilot in that scenario.

Most of the time it will just add to the beeping during the flare so I left it out

Derek

It's interesting that the stall warning vane is required from Vans for you guys in the 10 & 14. It's an add on in the 7.

The & kits don't come with a stall vane and I don't believe it's even documented as an option on the assembly prints, although I'd have to go to the print to verify that. Even the pitot tube in the print is just the roll your own bent aluminum tube solution.

I wonder, is there not a recognizable buffet to announce the onset of a stall in the 10 & 14? If not, I can see why Vans would want to make sure you had some sort of solution.

The G3X will do you fine for stall warning. I would not fear flying with out a stall warning device until you get your AOA calibrated.

My RV7 did not have any kind of stall warning device until I installed the G3X. Many pre 1960s aircraft I flew, came from the factory without a stall warning device, us old codgers never felt unsafe without it.

I felt silly because I was told i couldn’t remove it, and so gave Van’s a spiel about the aeroplane being experimental and I shouldn’t be forced to pay for parts I was not planning to install. They agreed and removed it from the kit. And credited me $21.20. I shouldn’t have worried about it for - 1/4 AMU (and in the end the kit came with the bag containing the stall warner kit anyway).

I ended up filling the holes in the leading edge with rivets, and running a 22AWG to the location. I also made up the stall warning vane but didn’t install it. I figure it’s there and ready to go in with just some filing of the slot if I ever needed it.

Buffet

I wonder, is there not a recognizable buffet to announce the onset of a stall in the 10 & 14? If not, I can see why Vans would want to make sure you had some sort of solution.

The 10 and 14 wing design (same) is amazing for lack of almost any bad tendencies in stall. It just buffets and if you decide to pull harder "mushes'. I've flown the 7 and it's completely different if not intimidating. Even departure stalls are rather benign. (At altitude of course)

Back