What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx tech issues - help each other

Serial

Hi Dennis,

I did a write up a while back on wiring that exact setup for an RV-12. Let me know if you can't find the forum thread and I'll send you a link.

Neil

Actually altitude drop outs are what i am trying to solve. Looking at a bunch of reports in last year I ve had alritude drop out about 25% of the flights. Thought i would start with the transmonSPE since i now have a 327 x ponder. Most of that flying is in E air space but within radar coverage out of either Atl or Chattanooga.

Hi Dennis,

I did a write up a while back on wiring that exact setup for an RV-12. Let me know if you can't find the forum thread and I'll send you a link.

Neil

Neil ,I spent some time on the search but was not successful in finding the thread < searched by Allthumbs, Navworx, Dynon 180 DEK and RV12 but no luck.

Here you go, Dennis:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=123619
I can't believe we did that way back in 2015...

Marty, I did not. I had to send my box back to Bill and then the AD hit. Last I heard it was a firmware issue that was fixed in the 5.7.x code. I'm waiting to hear from Bill about the firmware that will handle the GPS dog-house for EXP boxes hit by the AD. I'm asking for DETAILED release notes so hopefully I'll be able to answer a few more of these old questions at that time.

Ongoing tech issue

I think this one is software based though.

How many of you are using an SL-70 as your control head for your ADS600B?

Have you checked to see that when you change the squawk code in the SL-70 that it actually changes in the ADS600B?

Mine doesn't at all - neither 1200baud or 9600baud.
If I change it in the ADS600B to a SL70R and run the SL-70 at 9600 baud, it seems to work properly - but then I give up other functionality that relies on the 1200 baud SL-70. This is why I think it is software related - reading the manuals shows that they all output the same messages essentially.

Anyone else out there running this configuration?

I have a short-term workaround - but it is not right either...involves setting my SL-70 and then changing it in the ADS600B through my MX-20...double entry!

I know a bunch of SL-70's were sold...I'm trying the get a feel for how big an impact this is to the community - as in who can't fly with this set-up and how quickly will it get fixed?

Thanks!

Do you have another GPS in the aircraft? If so, you may be able to temporarily swap antenna if the other antenna is supported by Navworx.

Which brand and model of GPS antenna do you currently have on the Navworx? I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but Garmin had a large failure rate on their GA 35. It was limited to a certain time period, which I can't recall at the moment. Mine failed just after the warranty expired.

Finally put some time into troubleshooting the setup. I used 3 separate antenna cables and tried 2 different GA56 antennas. All with the same result of no GPS input into the Navworx box. I tested the GPS antenna voltage output at the end of the cable and was receiving a constant 4.88V. I'm speculating that there was a mishap and that it either didn't get fixed when I sent the unit in or that there's another issue outside of the GPS unit that was supposedly fixed. Shot Bill an email about it to see what the solution is, guessing I'll just have to send it back in.

Talked to Scott from Dallas Avionics at the AOPA fly in yesterday. I didn't realize that the final AD ruling came out and that my box is now affected. Going to work with him on a path forward but I'm hopefully it will resolve both any AD concerns and get the thing working.

TransMonSPE

I borrowed a TransMonSPE - thanks Dennis Rhodes!

Now I need the pinouts for the USB side so I can build a cable to test it with.

The red->3/green->33/black->32 is good for the ADS600B side - I need what goes to where on the USB connector side.

Anyone out there know how the USB connector side is wired?

FYI, the reason I am working on this is to have a replacement for the current lack of interoperability with the SL-70 (unless you use it as a SL-70R @ 9600 baud - which kills other parts of my panel).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ralph, you know on the 600exp that cable had a USB on both ends. The exp uses a serial plug recpectale on the box. Fyi.

My ADS600B is not the exp version - I have a 37 pin connector at the ADS600B. I have those pinouts - need the ones at the USB end - or I'm missing something that would mean it can't work.....

Now I need the pinouts for the USB side so I can build a cable to test it with.

The red->3/green->33/black->32 is good for the ADS600B side - I need what goes to where on the USB connector side.

The USB cable that NavWorx provided already had a finished end at the TransMON. I recommend that you go to a local electronics store and just buy a USB extension cable if you can't get an original from NavWorx.

Meanwhile, check out the USB pinout on this web page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Scroll down to Pinout (about half way down) and it is a Type A connection.

Power is on pin 1 (red) +5v
Data(+) is on pin 3 (green)
Ground is on pin 4 (black)

David

I see John Johnson and Ralph Capen are on this thread. I want to thank both of you for your help with my recent issues. Figured I would try to contribute here. Regarding the TransMon, I was having trouble with getting it to communicate. This thread gave me an idea. Someone mentioned that the TransMon might not work well with good coax and this gave me an idea. Because I had a BNC connection near the TransMon, I was able to add in short length of coax. In the middle of this I added a small ?breach? in the shield. Basically about 1/4? x 1/32?. I placed this breach in the TransMon face down....near the sense element. I also removed about 1/2? of the insulator so that the shield is contact the body of the TransMon. Good success so far. I now get altitude and code on the ramp with poor radar coverage. Flight test later today after oil change. Will keep you posted. Fingers crossed.

To follow up. My previous fix of breaching the coax in the TransMon did not work reliably. Oddly, when I add the cover it got flaky. Tried a few variations with not much luck. Now the odd part. I moved the TransMon to the segement of coax closer to the transponder and it suddenly locks on solid, even on the ground. Did a 30 minute flight while monitoring the laptop and it was solid. Will order the FAA report to see if it is adequate to do a rebate flight. The ?fix?is somewhat mysterious. I have to wonder if you need to tune it on the coax...wavelength related? Will keep you all posted if I run into further issues.

Noted one problem with the WiFi. My iPhone 5 did a great job of showing traffic and weather. My newer iPad mini 4 did not show traffic and was indicating that I had 0 stations while the iPhone showed 5. Anybody run into this?

Noted one problem with the WiFi. My iPhone 5 did a great job of showing traffic and weather. My newer iPad mini 4 did not show traffic and was indicating that I had 0 stations while the iPhone showed 5. Anybody run into this?

I have an EXP. traffic showed on both my iPad mini 2 and my new iPad mini 4 but the former always showed the same number of stations as my GRT Sport SX whereas the latter always shows zero. Also the 2 showed radar but the 4 does not. Both will show weather at reporting AWOS sites but the 2 seemed to pick them up quickly, the 4 takes forever to update. iOS issue maybe?

I have an EXP. traffic showed on both my iPad mini 2 and my new iPad mini 4 but the former always showed the same number of stations as my GRT Sport SX whereas the latter always shows zero. Also the 2 showed radar but the 4 does not. Both will show weather at reporting AWOS sites but the 2 seemed to pick them up quickly, the 4 takes forever to update. iOS issue maybe?

Yeah, I?m afraid it?s the new IOS or the latest Foreflight. Since Foreflight never formally supported Navworx, this could be a problem. Ran into a similar but different issue with my Stratux in the past few weeks. Wonder if one can go backwards on the iOS and foreflight loads...doubtful...

For those who have not updated, might be worth waiting.

This is a known bug with 4.1.0 on the ADS600-B. Traffic isn't transmitted on both Display ports. Most common occurrence is that your EFIS is on Port 1 and your wifi dongle is on Port 2. The was supposed to be fixed in 5.0.

Please note which unit you have. The OS and issues are different for each platform.

This is a known bug with 4.1.0 on the ADS600-B. Traffic isn't transmitted on both Display ports. Most common occurrence is that your EFIS is on Port 1 and your wifi dongle is on Port 2. The was supposed to be fixed in 5.0.

Please note which unit you have. The OS and issues are different for each platform.

Thanks Bob. What is odd is that I am using one port to the WiFi. Both, the iPad and the iPhone recognize and communicate with the 600B, but the results are different. I have a feeling it may be a Foreflight issue. Will try different combinations next time I fly. Traffic on the Garmin generally agree with the iPhone. Had noticed the iPad had trouble with Stratux after the last update, and this appears confirmed as a Foreflight issue. Will keep an eye out for updates.

Downloaded the latest Foreflight fix(9.4.3.?) and it looks like it corrected the issue with traffic not showing up. It also fixed my Stratux issue. So far, I am quite pleased with the ADS600B. Flew my FAA verification flight today, fingers crossed. The only problem I had was a drop of the WiFi for unknown reason. Recovered with the breaker and no further issues. I really hope they can salvage the company. It really seems like they have a good product.

I have a ADS600-B and 4.1.0 loaded on it (not sure how I know the release).
My intent is to go the AMOC route with my G430w. But I don't have a copy of the UAT console that will run, looking for help.

I tried running the UAT console software I obtained back in 2012 but get an error on loading, "Nonshared DATA segment required", then if fails to open. Anyone have experience with this?

A secondary concern I have is that I recall the UAT console loads a version of the Navworx software. If so, this is backlevel for my box (my box had been sent in since then for a maintenance upgrade).

Does anyone have a copy of the UAT console that they can share or otherwise advise? Thanks.

Bill "with all appendages crossed" Watson

I think I'm ready for the AMOC work.

I made a flight over the weekend and pulled the Public ADS-B Performance Report for the flight. All looked good - no reds. I think that report is the final arbiter of whether my installation is satisfactory.

The only yellow mark was for NACv (Navigational accuracy velocity); Avg=4, Min=3, Max=4. The Avg and Min were marked in yellow, perhaps because they weren't both = 4. It seems that this value is determined by use of the G430w as the GPS source but I'm not clear on it

Unfortunately, I never could get the UAT Console to display "UAT Configured" and "Ready for Flight" consistently in green. I recall getting this readings sporadically but ended my last configuration session with mixed results.

Bill "satisfied but cautious" Watson

I think I'm ready for the AMOC work.

I made a flight over the weekend and pulled the Public ADS-B Performance Report for the flight. All looked good - no reds. I think that report is the final arbiter of whether my installation is satisfactory.

The only yellow mark was for NACv (Navigational accuracy velocity); Avg=4, Min=3, Max=4. The Avg and Min were marked in yellow, perhaps because they weren't both = 4. It seems that this value is determined by use of the G430w as the GPS source but I'm not clear on it

Unfortunately, I never could get the UAT Console to display "UAT Configured" and "Ready for Flight" consistently in green. I recall getting this readings sporadically but ended my last configuration session with mixed results.

Bill "satisfied but cautious" Watson

That last sentence causes some concern. Which of the three indicators aren?t green? It?s my understanding without all three being green, it won?t transmit.

The AMOC is a simple process, just send a copy of the 430 amoc, State you followed the instructions and placarded the Navworx box, and the n# of your RV-10 to the manager of you local FSDO. It?s just a notification procedure, not an approval.

That last sentence causes some concern. Which of the three indicators aren?t green? It?s my understanding without all three being green, it won?t transmit.

The AMOC is a simple process, just send a copy of the 430 amoc, State you followed the instructions and placarded the Navworx box, and the n# of your RV-10 to the manager of you local FSDO. It?s just a notification procedure, not an approval.
Frankly, I assumed that I was taking off in receive-only mode at best. My intent was to get the report and start twiddling with the configuration. I was surprised with the success.

I never had the "Ready for Flight" lit.

On the Status page, my last readings were GPS Source = failed, Transmitter Control = passed, Alt Encoder = passed. I had a lot of different combinations of things as I tried different options on the 600B, G430w and G327.

I do still have the internal GPS antenna hooked up but I noticed that the current software doesn't even seem to recognize that GPS as a option so I assume it is 'offline'.

Am I getting a false positive from the FAA report?

I had the same problem when I started my testing...

Are you "in" a hangar? Can your 430W's GPS antenna "see" the satellites?

My metal roof hangar was a Faraday cage and prevented GPS reception - even with the doors open. I had to rig up a remote antenna and stick it outside.

Your successful flight implies my solution might help your ground testing as well.....

I had the same problem when I started my testing...

Are you "in" a hangar? Can your 430W's GPS antenna "see" the satellites?

My metal roof hangar was a Faraday cage and prevented GPS reception - even with the doors open. I had to rig up a remote antenna and stick it outside.

Your successful flight implies my solution might help your ground testing as well.....

The other thing to check is to ensure that you enable adsb+ and not adsb on the 430. That?s a pretty common oversight.

If these two don?t fix it, then check the wiring for continuity.

I would suggest that you disconnect the ADS600-B internal GPS antenna - so there's no chance it could be using it. If someone ever says - let's have a look-see - it won't even be there....and you'll know you're getting your position from the 430W - or you wouldn't have one at all....

Another tuppence worth!

Frankly, I assumed that I was taking off in receive-only mode at best. My intent was to get the report and start twiddling with the configuration. I was surprised with the success.

I never had the "Ready for Flight" lit.

On the Status page, my last readings were GPS Source = failed, Transmitter Control = passed, Alt Encoder = passed. I had a lot of different combinations of things as I tried different options on the 600B, G430w and G327.

I do still have the internal GPS antenna hooked up but I noticed that the current software doesn't even seem to recognize that GPS as a option so I assume it is 'offline'.

Am I getting a false positive from the FAA report?

If you are running 4.1.0, if my memory serves me correct, the gps select pull down has three options. Internal gps, external certified gps, and the name of the original Navworx certified gps. It?s been a view months since I last looked.

You should be able to change the gps selection regardless if it?s working or not.

Yes, you also need to unplug the antenna cable from the internal gps.

The successful report was real. My ground testing process was the problem.

I had rolled it outside for a proper view of the sky and all. But I was shutting down my (3) EFIS screens (yes, 3 GRT/HXs) to conserve the batteries. No power to the EFIS means no signal from the AHRS. Worked fine in flight but on the ground, not so much.

Yes, the ADSB+ thing was in there too at one point. There was also some confusion on the right protocol for the pressure altitude signal at the Transponder, the 600-B and the EFIS.

I just went back, got three greens, then spent an hour getting various msgs resolved on the G430w, the Console and the G327. All clean and green now.

I will be disco'ing the antenna for the internal GPS and placarding as needed. Now I need to contact the FSDO.

Thanks much for the help guys!

Anyone need help with this particular combination, feel free to contact me.
600-B, G430w, GRT EFIS/AHRS, G327. But Bob and Ralph seem have the answers.

Glad I (we) could help!
It will be good to hear that you got your acknowledgement from the FSDO and we have another unit successfully in the air - legal past January and past 2020!

I contacted my FSDO and emailed the Principal Avionics Inspector the current AD, the Global AMOC and the Public ADS-B Performance Report. Withing 24 hours I rec'd this:

Based on the information provided, I have no technical objections to you using the Capen 7F0-17-528 Global Alternative Method of Compliance (AMOC) to Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2017-11-11, as approved by the Fort Worth ACO.

Please ensure that you install the placard that is required by the AMOC and that all provisions of AD 2017-11-11 that are not specifically referenced in the AMOC remain fully applicable and must be complied with as specified in the AMOC and the AD.

If you have any other questions concerning this matter, please contact me at the below listed number or e-mail.​

I think that represents acceptance of the AMOC as a form of complilance with the AD. Success!

Thanks again all, especially Bob, Ralph and Tim.

Welcome to the ranks of the compliant past January club...This could take us past the 2020 deadline as well - as long as there isn't a hardware/software issue.....

My reading of the yellow spots doesn't suggest that there is necessarily a problem.

As far as the FSDO is concerned, they didn't ask for it, and while I broke the rule of not offering up more than asked, the report was mentioned in our communications.

I have the feeling that it will not be part of my next report.

I still get the yellow spots. No concern on the part of my FSDO. I don't think the yellow NACv result is a problem.

Garmin ADSB + Format 1 and Format 2

Charlie Waffles brought this to my attention.

I upgraded to 6.41 after I worked on the AMOC. At that time, the only choices were ADSB and ADSB+. After upgrading to 6.41, there is now an ADSB+ Format 1 and an ADSb+ Format 2. The question that I was asked was which one of these are the right option for the AMOC. This caught me totally off guard.

I check my GTN 650 tonight. After the 6.41 upgrade what was ADSB+ was changed to ADSB+ Format 1.

A question for g3xexpert is my assumption that Format 1 the same as the original ADSB+? Then what is different with Format 2 and what requires that setting?

I was just told by a non-Garmin source that Format 2 is something Garmin made for their GDL 82 device.

So if you're looking for ADSB+, select ADSB+ Format 1

UAT Console 4.1.0

I need the UAT console that supports the Garmin 430W/600B AMOC. My version does not have an input option for the 430w. If someone could email version 4.1.0 I would be thankful.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 N104EW
Still Painting

I need the UAT console that supports the Garmin 430W/600B AMOC. My version does not have an input option for the 430w. If someone could email version 4.1.0 I would be thankful.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 N104EW
Still Painting

Send me an email, do NOT PM me. If you click on my userid, you?ll find a link to email me.

I was just told by a non-Garmin source that Format 2 is something Garmin made for their GDL 82 device.

So if you're looking for ADSB+, select ADSB+ Format 1

I can confirm that this indeed works with the ADS-B+ Format 1. Just wired up my unit and this format worked as intended.

Navworx issues after AMOC work, GNS 480 port 3 ADSB+ out position info

Folks,

I know there are at least a couple of us out here with NavWorx equipment with non-AD related technical issues...while waiting for NavWorx to respond to our technical issue help requests, we should attempt to help each other.

To that end, I have a 6A with a NavWorx ADS600B -13 connected to a 430W, SL-70, and MX-20...

My unit displays "Ready for Flight" and "TX/RX Error", while not actually working. The "TX/RX Error" only showed up after I was able to get the transmitter turned on...which required installation of an older version of software as the "Activate Transmitter" feature had been removed from later software versions - then upgrading to the latest required software.

All of the other attached equipment in my environment appears to be working properly and communicating with the ADS600B -13 unit.

I can offer my environment to help test other folks units that are having technical issues. I would also request that others make available their working environment to test our non-working equipment in as well as known-good equipment for testing in our environment. Since we have some time before the 2020 mandate and don't know the NavWorx ongoing support status - this is most likely our best solution...aside from abandoning the NavWorx hardware and repurchasing an alternate solution.

Thanks for your collective consideration,
Here's my issue:
Used AMOC to connect compliant position source to Navworx box and disconnected the internal Navworx gps via rs232
Equipment interconnected:
Navworx 600B-13 (AD unit) with 429 option, wifi adapter
Aspen PFD & MFD (mfd did get traffic prior to this change)
GMX 200 using 422 lines from Navworx box (port 1?)
SL 70 set up as 'remote' to supply rs232 baro alt and squawk code to Navworx box

Issues:
1. never got Navworx wifi to send traffic via wifi on port 2 to my Wing x pro, but FIS worked (will we ever get a fix for that? UAT 5.0?)
2. After connecting the GNS 480 port 3 ADSB+ out, I had to select the 430/530 drop down to get the 3 green 'ready for flight' boxes on the 4.1 UAT console outside test
3. (This is bad) I cannot now get the GMX200 port 4 422 to show the Navworx test traffic/FIS or my N #. DATA SEEMS INTERMITTENT, when looking at data tab on mx200 data tab
Any ideas on WHAT is going on?
MW

Navworx issues after AMOC work, GNS 480 port 3 ADSB+ out position info

Folks,

I know there are at least a couple of us out here with NavWorx equipment with non-AD related technical issues...while waiting for NavWorx to respond to our technical issue help requests, we should attempt to help each other.

To that end, I have a 6A with a NavWorx ADS600B -13 connected to a 430W, SL-70, and MX-20...

My unit displays "Ready for Flight" and "TX/RX Error", while not actually working. The "TX/RX Error" only showed up after I was able to get the transmitter turned on...which required installation of an older version of software as the "Activate Transmitter" feature had been removed from later software versions - then upgrading to the latest required software.

Add me to you list. More later.

All of the other attached equipment in my environment appears to be working properly and communicating with the ADS600B -13 unit.

I can offer my environment to help test other folks units that are having technical issues. I would also request that others make available their working environment to test our non-working equipment in as well as known-good equipment for testing in our environment. Since we have some time before the 2020 mandate and don't know the NavWorx ongoing support status - this is most likely our best solution...aside from abandoning the NavWorx hardware and repurchasing an alternate solution.

Thanks for your collective consideration,
Here's my issue:
Used AMOC to connect compliant position source to Navworx box and disconnected the internal Navworx gps via rs232
Equipment interconnected:
Navworx 600B-13 (AD unit) with 429 option, wifi adapter
Aspen PFD & MFD (mfd did get traffic prior to this change)
GMX 200 using 422 lines from Navworx box (port 1?)
SL 70 set up as 'remote' to supply rs232 baro alt and squawk code to Navworx box

Issues:
1. never got Navworx wifi to send traffic via wifi on port 2 to my Wing x pro, but FIS worked (will we ever get a fix for that? UAT 5.0?)
2. After connecting the GNS 480 port 3 ADSB+ out, I had to select the 430/530 drop down to get the 3 green 'ready for flight' boxes on the 4.1 UAT console outside test
3. (This is bad) I cannot now get the GMX200 port 4 422 to show the Navworx test traffic/FIS or my N #. DATA SEEMS INTERMITTENT, when looking at data tab on mx200 data tab
Any ideas on WHAT is going on?
MW

Back