What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WPR13FA405 Probable Cause - Jackson Hole 7-7-2015

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
7-7-2015 I was driving past the Jackson Hole airport on Tuesday and was reminded of this accident. It was terrible and 2 people I had met were killed. The pilot was very experienced but still crashed. I remarked to my wife how flat and only sage brush around the airport.

Why did the pilot think he could make a turn back to the airport?
Why didn't he just land anywhere in the brush? There is open space everywhere around the airport.

Reading the probable cause report gives a clue.

*** Note: NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report. ..*
The pilot, who was also the owner/builder of the experimental kit airplane, departed for a cross-country flight from his home airport. Witnesses reported that, following departure, they observed the airplane climb to about 500 to 600 ft above ground level while it was maneuvering onto the downwind leg.

Witnesses also reported that the engine was producing abnormal sounds and appeared to lose power. While on the downwind leg, the pilot declared an emergency and indicated that the engine had lost power; the air traffic controller then cleared the airplane to turn right onto the base leg and land. Witnesses reported that, as the airplane was turning from the downwind to the base leg of the traffic pattern, a wing dropped and that the wings were then nearly perpendicular to the terrain.

Given the reported wind speeds, the airplane would have encountered a 13- to 20-knot tailwind on the downwind leg and up to 20-knot right crosswind gusts while on the base leg. The tailwind would have resulted in a groundspeed that was much higher than the airspeed, and the pilot likely did not recognize that the airspeed was low. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

The airplane subsequently made a rapid descent and impacted terrain in a nose-low attitude. Ground scar analysis and wreckage fragmentation revealed that the airplane descended in a steep 45-degree, nose-down attitude before it impacted terrain, consistent with a loss of airplane control. A post impact examination of the engine revealed no evidence of mechanical malfunctions or failures that could have precluded normal operation.

The bottom line is a good pilot with lots of experience may believe they have things covered but be in more trouble than they know. Another sad day for so many occurred because of the impossible turn. Please think about this accident when you are flying.

Thank you Doug for starting this thread and giving us a place to discuss and hopefully learn from others. For those of us low time pilots, it is our only hope. [ed. You are most welcome! v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
N820RV crash

Funny this has resurfaced... I just visited the site on 9-11-2015, 2 years to the hour they crashed and made sure my crosses I erected were still there..

I witnessed the crash, was the first one on the scene, was hired the next day by Grand Teton National Park to remove the wreckage, was then hired by the NTSB to assist in the investigation, The wreckage was locked up in my hangar during that investigation, the insurance company released the mess to me since they said they would send Beegles to pick it up in a day or so... It was smelling REAL bad and the airport wanted it off their property ASAP...

I took the entire mess to my house and set it in my yard waiting for the recovery company to get it.... It sat there for weeks...until the came to get it..

I can share ALOT of information now that the factual report has been released if anyone is interested...

Ben Haas.
N801BH

Ben, I remember your reports and your involvement. My wife and I drove by on Monday and then again on Tuesday on our way back up to the YC. I appreciate what you did to help with the investigation and could tell if effected you too.

Thanks.

Interesting that the report does not mention anything found that would have caused the engine failure in the first place. There are only a small number of things that can do that and leave no evidence behind.

Interesting that the report does not mention anything found that would have caused the engine failure in the first place. There are only a small number of things that can do that and leave no evidence behind.

In her report she included pics. One of those shows the part that failed...

Unfortunately she had two years to write up the factual and before it was published her fellow workers should have vetted it for accuracy.....

You would think college graduates could spell " Supercharger and Alternator" correctly...:eek:

Back