What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Spruce Brantford

ShawnR

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone been to the Aircraft Spruce in Brantford recently? I have some time to kill in Toronto on Wednesday and wondering if it would be worth renting a car and driving there from downtown Toronto. I am doing carry-on to get home so not looking to get a ton of stuff. A riveting gun would be nice but thinking that the the word gun with security might not be a good thing. But I have not seen much of any of the new avionics so if they had some pretty good displays set up, then it might good to see things for real instead of images and youtube as I think about my -4 mods this winter.

Any input for me?

Thanks

It could be called a rivet hammer but they probably wouldnt let you carry it on anyway because it is a heavy blunt object. You could always check a bag - even if you had to pay it would still be cheaper than shipping.

I have always wanted to just walk around an ACS just to get a bunch of the nuts, bolts, and screws that are a pain to order! Have fun.

I know the ACS in Peachtree has a minimal stock on display. As for hardware, I've always had to give them a list of part numbers and they would magically appear all bagged up. Without a catalog in front of you it’s hard to just shop. They do have cleaners, oil, training aids and the usual assortment of daily mtc items, but I have never seen enough stuff to warrant shopping awhile in that store. Never seen any avionics displays other than posters or printed ad materials.

Other locations may be different, but I certainly wouldn’t rent a car and spend the time to make a special trip unless I had preordered what I needed.

Been a while since I’ve been there, show room doesn’t really have a lot in it, similar to the size of your typical Auto Zone parts store, or such. I think you might be a bit disappointed if it was a dedicated trip just to browse.

I know the ACS in Peachtree has a minimal stock on display. As for hardware, I've always had to give them a list of part numbers and they would magically appear all bagged up. Without a catalog in front of you it’s hard to just shop. They do have cleaners, oil, training aids and the usual assortment of daily mtc items, but I have never seen enough stuff to warrant shopping awhile in that store. Never seen any avionics displays other than posters or printed ad materials.

Other locations may be different, but I certainly wouldn’t rent a car and spend the time to make a special trip unless I had preordered what I needed.

This pretty much describes the main headquarters in Corona as well - they are a mail order house, not a retail shopping store…..

I’ll stop to pick up a “will call” order when I am in SOCAL, but I won’t go out of my way (as in, exit the freeway a mile away) just to see what they have….

Paul

Suggest you not call it a rivet gun. I had a very unfortunate situation when I tried to bring a brand new in the box Binks 15 touch-up gun onboard a United flight as carry-on. When it went through X-ray, the TSA folks asked me what it was, and without thinking I called it a "spray gun".

I didn't make my flight despite entering the TSA queue an hour before departure :eek:

If there are specific items you want to look at, place a "Will Call" order and add a note that you're a customer who wants to look at the items, but will probably delete some of the items after looking at them.

I've done this a time or two at Peachtree City and they were very accommodating.

As others have commented - ACS isn't really a retail shop. Only a small fraction of the actual inventory is on display in the store. The rest is behind the wall.

Suggest you not call it a rivet gun. I had a very unfortunate situation when I tried to bring a brand new in the box Binks 15 touch-up gun onboard a United flight as carry-on. When it went through X-ray, the TSA folks asked me what it was, and without thinking I called it a "spray gun".
I didn't make my flight despite entering the TSA queue an hour before departure :eek:

Only problem I ever had with a carry-on was an inspection camera. I forewarned them that on x-ray it would probably look like a pistol. It was in the original box to make it obvious. I offered to take it out of the box or let them take it out. Turns out they weren't concerned that it looked like a gun. They thought it looked like an electric screw driver. Heavens-to-Betsy!!! Not an electric screw driver!
They finally let it pass after looking at the box.
I was wearing my FAA cap. Not sure if that was a positive or negative.

thank you

Ok, thanks everyone. I will find other ways to entertain myself while management shops....:rolleyes:

Just finished doing exactly what you were thinking of late this afternoon. I was 3/4 hr. From Brantford. About what I expected and as described above. Picked up two small items
Just wanted to see where all my orders were being filled since they opened this branch.

You guys spoiled my dreams of walking through a huge warehouse full of all the stuff I wanted to check out. I guess I will have to get a new catalog from them and order all the wrong screws, nuts, and bolts.

I went there in person to try out different headsets. It's great for finding out if the Lightspeed or Bose is more comfortable. They had other pilot supply items available to see too. Basically the type of thing one would want to look at before purchasing.

Looking at different nuts and bolts? Not so much, they're purchased by specs.

Back