What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv3 creep

Jslow2

Well Known Member
So I'm just starting the fuse on my 9, and here comes an rv3 build creeping into my head, trying to take over my 9. Funny how that works.🤣

I'm building a -3B and for a few years, every six months or so, I'd lose a few days thinking about a Rocket. Couldn't help it.

Dave

So I'm just starting the fuse on my 9, and here comes an rv3 build creeping into my head, trying to take over my 9. Funny how that works.🤣

Do not, under ANY circumstances, accept an invitation to fly someone’s -3, or you will be ruined. Either the -9 will go on the shelf (or in the classifieds) or you’ll be ending up with two airplanes….. :)

Paul

Do not, under ANY circumstances, accept an invitation to fly someone’s -3, or you will be ruined. Either the -9 will go on the shelf (or in the classifieds) or you’ll be ending up with two airplanes….. :)

Paul

Well if I have two airplanes isn't the minimum that I need then bumped up to 3? 🤣

I think I like the idea of building a 3 more then owning a 3, I honestly love the, unfortunately small amount, of fabrication that goes into a pre punched kit.

But things floating around in my mind are: aeromomentum inline engine, no cheeks, p40ish cowl and canopy... I have an active imagination.

Struggles

Well I can guarantee that you will have alot more struggles building a 3, than you are having building your 9A! I guess for some of us that like to build Vans kits an older RV3 kit is probably the ultimate Vans challenge. :)

Chris

Selling my share in the -4 that we had and missing it dearly made me do the only sensible thing to do - buy an -3B project....

Yeah, I am lost.... ;-)

Don't care for the jelly bean look, plus I have an engine. The Rocket urge is gone anyway, I think I might have grown up finally.

Dave

I am close to being finished with my 3B. Over 10 years. Have had three other projects to deal with which are finished and have a 41 J3 to keep flying.
The 3B is difficult. Plans are just OK and there are errors. Many parts require extensive fabricating to make fit. If you have restored a car, done some aircraft fab in the past or really like a challenge then I say go for it
I have enjoyed the project immensely. This website has some great former and current 3 builders on it.
Mr Mozart and I have spent a few thousand hours on this project

Bob Grigsby

What do normal people do?

RV-3 Interloper

I hear ya! I abandoned my 9A project when a buddy discovered a "3A" in a hanger that had sat for 12 yrs. What I thought would be a 60 hr. IRAN became 350 hrs. and 16 months! When it was finished it was fun to fly for the year I had it (50 hrs.); but if I'd just put that 350 hrs. into my 9A, it would have been flying at the same point in time...live and learn. :)

Doug
RV-3A restored, flown, sold.
RV-9A / Mazda 13B FWF (restarting to completion in Dec. :) )

Don't care for the jelly bean look, plus I have an engine. The Rocket urge is gone anyway, I think I might have grown up finally.

Dave

I've got an engine too. Haven't grown up yet though. Engine will be for sale and Subaru STi Turbo will be installed. I like a challenge... ;)

Back