What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Door lock mechanism jams

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
It doesn't look hard on paper: install a lock into the baggage door from the outside, and then fiddle around via the larger hole on the inside to connect the locking pins. Lock the pins onto the cam of the lock, and it should be done, right? For some reason, no.
All components operate easily and smoothly, but when assembled into the system, the key barely turns and something is jamming or restricting rotation. This is NOT a result of resistance of the pins entering the phenolic blocks, I'm just trying to exercise the lock while it's open.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Yes. This is how you break off a key in the lock. If that happens you are off to the races on how to recover as you will need to get to the lock from the inside.

Find out what is binding. Do this before you rivet in the door hinge. One thing you can try is flipping the cam (the plate you made to fit on the inside of the lock that the pins connect to). While you are at it, make sure the rod slots you cut to go over the cam are big enough to prevent binding.

Use a touch of grease in the pin blocks as well.

One recommendation, use a round key lock. These are much harder to break the key off.

Carl

Another skill to be acquired. Locksmith!
Okay. It appears the initial binding was in the interaction between the lock cylinder and the locking pins. That appears to be solved.

Now I have locksmith questions. The full throw of the lock is 90 degrees from having the locking pins fully extended and having them fully retracted. The lock I bought only allows the key to be removed when vertical, which is 45 degrees from either locked or open. This does not feel really secure. I'd rather the locking pins were FULLY engaged when considered locked with the key removed, rather than halfway engaged. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to have the pins fully retracted so the door could be opened and closed without banging on a partially extended locking pin.

I didn't even know to consider such things when I bought the locks I have. How would I even describe what I'm looking for if I go in search of better locks?

I guess what I want is a lock with a 90 degree throw from open to closed, which will allow me to set the lock either open or closed, and then re-center the key and remove it without changing the position of the locking pins.

What is that? And, thanks for the recommendation for a circular key. Now I understand.

Hi Clay, if I remember correctly I had to make an arm to attach to the lock with a cutout oriented 45 degrees off. The arms that came with the lock wouldn’t work. My locks key slot is vertical when locked and horizontal when open. The key is removable in the open or closed position but not in between. Got my lock at Lowes.

Broke a key off once, real fun getting that out.
Initial turning stiffness was resolved by Boelube applied in the plastic blocks.

Back