What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using 3” shoulder harnesses for GIB

N82VM

Well Known Member
Not flying yet, but I ordered Crow harnesses. My preference was 3” so I ordered that size for Pilot and GIB. Now I’m rethinking the 3” in back for a couple reasons.
1) my GIB is 95% of the time a small adult
2) F-807B. Is there enough there to accommodate a 3” harness?

Anyone else running 3” harnesses front and back?

Not flying yet, but I ordered Crow harnesses. My preference was 3” so I ordered that size for Pilot and GIB. Now I’m rethinking the 3” in back for a couple reasons.

I never have after using three belt systems. Second and third (Hooker and Simpson) had/have shoulder pads.

Seems awfully bulky. Does the structure even provide enough anchor strength to make 3" beneficial?

Last edited:
I have 3 inch Crow front and back in the Rocket. No issues per se, but when I replace I will likely go with a smaller/lighter harness system.

I replace I will likely go with a smaller/lighter harness system.

I have the simple 5-point harness system provided in the Vans finishing kit. My friend has the same harness in his RV8A and I never felt it is inadequate. The Decathlon I am training in has the full aerobatic harness, shoulder support system like the Crows harness, and the ratchet lap system that locks you into the seat. While this system is definitely needed for those who do intermediate aerobatic and beyond, it's overkill for the style of flying I will be doing in my RV8. Also the Decathlon system is heavy.

I installed 5point in my RV8. I like the functionalilty and comfort. Is it really needed. Probably not. But I like the extra shoulder padding and high quality. It will last longer than I will. Easily adjustable and quick release works great. Makes me happy. That's what's important.

I’ve had 3” five-point Crow’s front and back in my RV-8 since day one - no problems with them. I don’t recall any problem fitting them through the bulkhead…maybe I modified the slots if needed (I’m on the road - can’t look at the plane), but if I did, I don’t recall any issues.

And 2” belts will be fine if you want to go that way….

Seat harness/belt width....

I am running Hooker Harness 5 point 2" front and back with harness and belt pads. Very comfortable for both me and my PIB. We are both "normal" size.....

I have 3" in the front seat of the Cub, 2" in the back......

Really?

2” Crow 5 point belts with pads on the shoulder straps in our RV-6. I added the crotch belt after reading an accident report where somebody landed a -6 in a trailer park and when the noise died down, he was in the baggage compartment. Not sure why anyone would need 3” belts in a light airplane. Well, OK, a 3” lap belt is nice if you’re doing heavy negative g maneuvers. Shoulder harness is just there to keep you out of the instrument board if you stop suddenly. If the impact is severe enough that a 2” vs. a 3” shoulder harness matters then you’re likely stopping too suddenly for the attach hardware or cockpit structure to handle anyway. 3” belts are for NASCAR, where those sudden stops are much more likely. (I’ve crewed a Southwest Tour Truck and those 3” belts seemed a necessity a few times) Not sure my small wife has the body to handle the extra bulk. I just wouldn’t bother.

Thanks for the replies.
I think I’m 100% keeping the 3” in the front.
I’m waffling about the back. I think I’m leaning towards 2” in the rear if I need to do anything aggressive to the F-807B. There’s not a lot of room. I just measured the opening there and it’s 2 3/4” to accommodate the 2” belts. Definitely appreciate it if Paul can take look and see if that was enlarged on your setup, and by how much.

If I go 2” in the rear I’ll be selling the brand new rear 3” set at a mega discount.

Belts

I'm a parachute rigger and so I made my own belts for the biplane I'm building. I put a lot of thought into my choices and the pilot and GIB positions received very different treatment. The 2 inch webbing I used throughout is rated at 5000 lbs. 3 inch would have been unfamiliar to most and overkill. Ha! no pun intended. When I designed and built the GIB belts, my primary focus was on familiarity and ease of use. If maneuvering in such a way that one is straining against the belts, the GIB - who is passive - has nothing to do but to "hold on" and is going to be grabbing for something for support and security. They won't be trusting the security of the belts.

That was my thought process anyway, YMMV.

Back