What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle for RV-8

Can I get some input on what people have used for Throttle quadrants and how are they after using them? I am looking at a CT83F but have not been able to find out much. Thanks in advance

Same as Don; I've flown with that quadrant for 16+ years, no issues and I still like it. One comment though, if you're tempted to put a honking big aftermarket throttle grip on it, don't... the stock location just doesn't have the room for it and the small ball knobs fits well.

I too have the CT83F quadrant in my 8. There are times such as in run up when the prop control is hard to access because of the throttle grip towering over it. The gap is too tight to reach under the grip when prop is full forward. So when I cycle the prop at the run up I have to reach over the throttle grip to nab the prop lever and pull it partially aft and then move my hand back down and around the throttle and grab the blue knob again and finish pulling it fully aft to start the cycle of the prop. Going back to prop full forward is easier because I can push tbe control in with finger tips on the prop lever arm edge below the throttle. Not the end of the World but a nit.

I also sometimes find it hard to tactilly feel the difference between the mixture and prop knob because they are both small, flat and each knob has similar-sized small machined scallops on the edges. I have often thought of changing out the mixture knob to a traditional smooth spherical knob to make it easier to tell the difference between them without looking.

Last edited:
Can I get some input on what people have used for Throttle quadrants and how are they after using them? I am looking at a CT83F but have not been able to find out much. Thanks in advance

I recently went from a carburated fixed pitch to an injected constant speed and the drop in replacement was the CT83F. It works fine, but if I were building from scratch, I might consider using the same throttle, but a vernier for the prop and/or mixture controls. It's just so much easier to fine-tune with the vernier-style controls.

I also like the fly-boy quadrant. It appears to be well, made, but it wasn't a drop-in replacement for what I had with the FP prop.
https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/flyboy-throttle-quadrant

I recently went from a carburated fixed pitch to an injected constant speed and the drop in replacement was the CT83F. It works fine, but if I were building from scratch, I might consider using the same throttle, but a vernier for the prop and/or mixture controls. It's just so much easier to fine-tune with the vernier-style controls.

I also like the fly-boy quadrant. It appears to be well, made, but it wasn't a drop-in replacement for what I had with the FP prop.
https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/flyboy-throttle-quadrant
I've flown with the CT83F style for 9-10 years, and the conventional ball type unit the previous 12-13. I've flown an awful lot of formation with both. Using fingertips to control power, etc., considering the angle of my wrist, I'd give the edge to the ball type. As other have mentioned, with the CT83F style, it is a little tight to operate. But, CT83F does look cool.

One reminder, no vernier throttle allowed for FFI formation flying.

Wasn't aware of the Flyboy quadrant.... That looks nice!! I might be seeing a third quadrant for the third decade of my -8.

Last edited:
It's a personal preference of what ergonomically works for you. I tried the quadrant and found it frustrating coming from Super Decathlon and Extra 300, I'm used vernier control. The quadrant is known for it's friction lock not holding all levers at the same pressure, you get prop creep with the RPM's pulling forward or throttle too tight, etc. I heard a company brought out a quadrant with separate friction locks for each lever but can't find a link for you. I added prop and mixture vernier controls to my plane and suits more my style of flying.

I have this quadrant in my -8. It works as advertised. That said, if I were to do it again, I’d strongly consider a vernier control for the prop. That would allow more precise adjustment.

I have this quadrant in my -8. It works as advertised. That said, if I were to do it again, I’d strongly consider a vernier control for the prop. That would allow more precise adjustment.

Same here - vernier for prop and mixture would be better than the levers - they have "sticktion" which makes it just a little bit harder to do the fine tuning.

Back