What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GT Propellers??

GT Propeller

Brain Kelley ( flyboy Kelley on here) put one on his RV-8 for the electric constant speed to work with the Rotec 9 cylinder radial . A search of his build should get you some info about it.

Dear Vansairforce members greetings from Tuscany Italy

After 3 years of intensive work finally my RV7 with one Lycoming O360A1a ,180 HP driving a constant speed prop and analog avionics had airborne on the 25th of March.
After the first flight of about 20 minuts little cruise and some touch and go were made. All went well.
The performance noted solo and half fuel are :
Take off distance about 100 meters,330 ft.
Climb rateo 2000 FT @ 100 kts
Economic cruise was 160 kts @ 2300 rpm,23 MAP.

The prop I have adopted is the Hartzell HC2YK upgrade with wood composite GTV24HY blades.
Company suggested 73” diameter.
Compared the original stock Hartzell the GT blades reduced weight of about 10 kg,20 pounds with very low inertia moment. Much appreciated on take off !!
Very smooth, expected dynamic balance by factory shortly.
See company link,

http://www.gt-propellers.com/hartzell-propellers.html

I’ll be more precise in performance after next flights.

Thanks Umberto and Vans for this fantastic aircraft.

*******check the link below for my second rv7 with my second tonini prop**********

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1321183&postcount=7

Last edited:
Please tell us more about your experience

Dear Vansairforce members greetings from Tuscany Italy

After 3 years of intensive work finally my RV7 with one Lycoming O360A1a ,180 HP driving a constant speed prop and analog avionics had airborne on the 25th of March.
After the first flight of about 20 minuts little cruise and some touch and go were made. All went well.
The performance noted solo and half fuel are :
Take off distance about 100 meters,330 ft.
Climb rateo 2000 FT @ 100 kts
Economic cruise was 160 kts @ 2300 rpm,23 MAP.

The prop I have adopted is the Hartzell HC2YK upgrade with wood composite GTV24HY blades.
Company suggested 73” diameter.
Compared the original stock Hartzell the GT blades reduced weight of about 10 kg,20 pounds with very low inertia moment. Much appreciated on take off !!
Very smooth, expected dynamic balance by factory shortly.
See company link,

http://www.gt-propellers.com/hartzell-propellers.html

I’ll be more precise in performance after next flights.

Thanks Umberto and Vans for this fantastic aircraft.

*******check the link below for my second rv7 with my second tonini prop**********

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1321183&postcount=7

I’d like to hear more about your experiences with the GT propeller.
Any maintenance issues? How many hours do you have on it, etc.

Thanks
Dave

GT Propeller approached me to test their new 3 Blade ground-adjustable prop on my -8.
Unfortunately i first had to solve some other issues but they are solved now.
Communication about testing is currently ongoing.

The biggest advantage is the weight (especially on a -8)and that it is designed with a redline RPM of 3000 and good for 280 hp!
Especially if you want to do aerobatics with a FP prop, you have to worry less on the down-lines not to exceed any given redline RPMs.

At Oshkosh i talked to Patrick McAlee (Airshow Performer flying a Pitts). He is flying this prop and said that on he up-line he gained almost 500ft over the previous prop.
He was very happy with the prop.

As soon as i can provide data, i will post them here.

@Alex: please check your PM and Email inbox

Last edited:
GT Propellers still in business?

Hello All,
I talked to Alex Tonini of GT Propellers in Italy about GT delivering a set of replacement blades for a Hartzell hub. This was one year ago, November 2021. We agreed he would deliver a set of blades fitted on my hub, which he received 6 months ago. I had already paid the full amount for the blades and installation by then.

Today I have not received my propeller and I can no longer get in touch with the company in any way. There is no answer on the phone and no reply to emails, Messenger, Whatsapp etc.

Does anybody know anything about the status of the company? Are they active, or in some kind of trouble financial, technical or..?

PS: Apologies if the question is outside the scope of this discussion forum.

UPDATE: One week after this posting, Paolo at GT propellers picked up the phone when I called yet another time. If I understand what Paolo said correctly, then the company is in the process of relocating causing major problems and delays for the production.
Nevertheless, another week later a large box appeared on my doorstep with a shiny propeller from GT. There has been no further explanation or communication from GT but I eventualy received what I bought a year ago.

So now the excitement will be to see how it works on the plane. Hopefully I will be ready in a few months.

Last edited:
Back