What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chasing The Leak: The Epic Continues - Gasket Question

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
If you've been following the other threads I've posted, bless your soul and thank you for your attention. If you've come this far, perhaps you'll come a little farther...

Inspired by post number 9 from another thread where I've been chasing a leak, Greg Young described a very similar symptom to what I have, which is drops of oil on the bottom of the fuel pump. I replaced my fuel pump last year because it was failing, but I had also hoped maybe my oil leak issue was coming from there and I'd kill two birds with one stone. Alas...

So now, having ruled out the plug as the source of the leak, I am turning my attention to the accessory pad and governor and replacing the gaskets. It's in one of the most inaccessible parts of my engine, and it is directly above where the drops have been collecting and then spewing onto the belly of my airplane.

Here's where I need a little help:

The parts catalog for my motor (ECI Titan O-360 A4B1N) calls for the following three gaskets:

P/N 68316 (#9 in the diagram) - Gasket, Accessory Drive Adapter - This is the one closest to the accessory case. Spruce and everyone else seem to have a P/N 68315 which looks to be the same shape, but is that okay? One number off on the part number - I know that can be significant. Can I use that? It's the most likely candidate for leaking right now.

P/N 69551 (#18 in the diagram) - Gasket, Accessory Drive Adapter - I may be reading the diagram wrong but I don't think this one is part of the prop governor assembly, still, if I'm in there, might as well replace?

P/N 72053 (#19 in the diagram) - Governor Gasket - this is the gasket for the governor itself, I think. I do not think it's leaking, but again, if I'm in there, might as well replace?

I realize this level of effort might be overkill, but I'm trying to eliminate options, and I've already gotten the easy ones - oil lines, rocker covers, case bolts, sump gasket (ok that one wasn't so easy but I did it.)

Appreciate the wisdom and collective thoughts.

(now I'm off to troubleshoot low oil pressure - isolating the sensor today. Yay!)

FYI, the two threaded holes for fuel pump attach are through drilled into the accy case. Therefore, oil can weep through the thread interface. I did not seal mine and the pump boss usually has a shinny oil coating, but no real dripping. You can pull the bolts one at a time, clean the hole well and use a blue loc tite on the bolts and reinstall. If the oil is coming from above the pump, you should be able to identify this with talc and see the path from above.

Larry

any other thoughts on the gaskets?

FYI, the two threaded holes for fuel pump attach are through drilled into the accy case. Therefore, oil can weep through the thread interface. I did not seal mine and the pump boss usually has a shinny oil coating, but no real dripping. You can pull the bolts one at a time, clean the hole well and use a blue loc tite on the bolts and reinstall. If the oil is coming from above the pump, you should be able to identify this with talc and see the path from above.

Larry

Larry - this is a good idea and I will do this.

Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts about the gaskets/part numbers that I posted in the original?

Back