What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data plate on or off for paint?

DrillBit

Well Known Member
748PK finally goes to the paint shop next month. Is the data plate usually removed then reinstalled after paint and before further flight, or is that verboten per the FARs?

Years ago, I asked this same question. I believe it was Vic Syracuse who answered that it was acceptable and common for the data plate to be removed for painting and that it must be reinstalled prior to flight.

I wish I had taken mine off for painting. It would have made it easier for the paint shop guys to sand and buff around in that area, and it probably would have been a cleaner looking final appearance. Just be sure you fish out the rivet parts that may fall off into the back of the fuselage when you drill those rivets out.

My RV6 is in the paint shop now - data plate removed. I initially pop-riveted it on with the small 3/32 rivets. Drilled off for paint. I’ll re-install with 1/8” LP-4’s.

I’ve seen (and done) it both ways. The best story though is that remembrance seeing one of the One Week Wonders at SnF the year after it had been built at Oshkosh. It went to paint after the show, and when I saw it in Lakeland, we all laughed because they had painted right over the data plate! Takes all kinds….

Let's think about this........

I’ve seen (and done) it both ways. The best story though is that remembrance seeing one of the One Week Wonders at SnF the year after it had been built at Oshkosh. It went to paint after the show, and when I saw it in Lakeland, we all laughed because they had painted right over the data plate! Takes all kinds….

If was engraved and the proper information is still readable, what's the problem? Probably looks better.

I always take them off before paint. When I put everything back together, putting the the data plate back on is my “I’m done with this project” moment.

OK, thanks folks. The majority opinion is removal. I had a local trophy shop engrave my EAA data plate and they weren’t very generous with the depth. There’s a good chance paint would completely fill in the letters!

Gorilla tape

Gorilla taped plate in place around the edges with solid rivets in the 4 corners so the painter could easily remove it. Worked well. He popped riveted it back in place.

Back