What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2022 Oshkosh RV Social

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Beer%20Fairy%20With%20Trumpets.jpg

2022 Oshkosh RV Social

Monday July 25th

1366 WEST WAUKAU AVENUE

Starts When The Airshow Ends (actually, earlier this year, see below)

Ends When The Kegs Run Dry (or about 10PM)

Just got back from the Great Western Adventure. The Fairy was waiting on the front porch, and immediately accused me of neglecting my duties...you know, like the old sot is herself real reliable....

Anyway, yes, it's on, same place as last year, same time...Monday evening, first official show day, in the backyard of the second house just outside the Waukau Ave EAA gate. We'll open the taps a bit earlier this year, like 4 o'clock, so those who wish may develop a celebratory attitude prior to attending a Vans 50th Anniversary forum over at the Theater in the Woods. I think it's scheduled for 7PM, perhaps 7:30; check your schedule. If you attend, do return to finish the kegs. The Fairy hates to waste beer.

The old bag drank all her own money, so this doesn't happen without contributions from the vendors who love you. We'll get the complete list up shortly. For now, know that Gallagher Aerospace is again our location host, which is no small thing. The Gallagher Gang will be in the big tent all week with refreshments and shade, plus they're hosting their own event on Wednesday evening. You're invited then too, so stop by and say thanks. It is the best place in the world to get answers to airplane insurance questions.

And now, drum roll please...here are the folks to thank:

Barrett Precision Engines (Rhonda!)
CQ Headsets (Scott)
Delta Pop Aviation (Don)
Flightlines (Tom)
Flyboy/Team Rocket (Blake and Vince)
JD Air (Darwin)
Kitplanes Magazine (Marc)
Lycoming/Thunderbolt (Chris)
SteinAir (Stein and the Gang)
TruTrak (Andrew)

Serious message. Let's be responsible. Keep an eye on your buddy. Walk or elect a designated driver. Make sure all your people get home safe.

Slap on a name tag when you arrive; the goal is to put faces with names. Social rules are the same as VAF rules; keep it civil, and keep it RV. We'll again have plenty of water and soft drinks for the no-hops folks. If you want food, grab something on the way, or try the place next door. Don't toss your cup; keep it for refills! When a tap runs dry, find me and I'll hang another keg; can't connect them all at one time. No parking on site, unless you bring your miniature Harley. No door prize interruption this year. RSVP's are not necessary. And please, everyone try to convince Jenny to dance on the picnic table.

'Nuff said. See you there!

OSH%20Social%20Map.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been once before. Good times. Thank you to Gallagher, Dan and everyone else who help make this happen.

Mission: Complete airbox mods, test mods, annual plane, fly to Oshkosh, drink a beer with Dan.

Mission accepted. Dan, looking forward to toasting with a Spotted Cow!

Four weeks! Only four more weeks! Twenty eight days, 9 hours and 30 minutes!

Look forward to meeting some of the folks here in person that I have come to know (virtually) and respect over the years.

I got word yesterday that the Van’s 50th event at Theater in the Woods may not start until 1945 (forty-five minutes later than originally planned) so that they can drop a Young Eagles thing first - so that gives an additional forty-fiver minutes of beer time.

However….the schedule is ALWAYS fluid, so it could change back - so glad that Dan is starting this event a little earlier!

Last edited by a moderator:
However….the schedule is ALWAYS fluid, so it coudl change back - so glad that Dan is starting this event a little earlier!

I gotta a bit of a chuckle out of that— fluid is right. In the past, the “official” start time was immediately after the airshow, but in my experience if you waited that long you were waayyyy behind the power curve. Kinda like Osh itself, it seems like the unofficial start time has gotten earlier and earlier.

Kinda like Osh itself, it seems like the unofficial start time has gotten earlier and earlier.

Well, there are always a few guys who, strictly in the interests of public service, volunteer to clear away the pesky foam when we first tap the kegs. Gotta get rid of it somehow, and no one wishes to burden the wider audience with the task...

Well, there are always a few guys who, strictly in the interests of public service, volunteer to clear away the pesky foam when we first tap the kegs. Gotta get rid of it somehow, and no one wishes to burden the wider audience with the task...

I love your definition of a “few”. Not complaining though— it’s a great event and I’m past watching the airshow, for the most part, anyways. It’s just one of those things you learn from experience.

Beer Fairy

Once again....Thanks Dan for getting ahold of the Beer Fairy and all her suiters. I consider this event the real kickoff for each years AirVenture. Marthajane and I always
enjoy reuniting with our Oshkosh family. We depart Texas and the 100 plus temps tomorrow morning. See ya soon.

Already arrived on the sacred grounds… and celebrated with my own fluid today ;)
For Monday the distance from HBC looks walkable alright. Both ways :D

I got word yesterday that the Van’s 50th event at Theater in the Woods may not start until 1945 (forty-five minutes later than originally planned) so that they can drop a Young Eagles thing first - so that gives an additional forty-fiver minutes of beer time.

However….the schedule is ALWAYS fluid, so it could change back - so glad that Dan is starting this event a little earlier!

Unless we run out of beer before that…

Last tap dry at 7:35, easily a new record. Eleven half barrels, 170 gallons, something over 600 guests.

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_163526031_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220725_163526031_HDR.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 221
Been to it 3 times. NEVER seen as many attendees as today. Place was packed. The 50th anniversary sure brought a lot in. Love Spotted Cow.

Last tap dry at 7:35, easily a new record. Eleven half barrels, 170 gallons, something over 600 guests.

And for some of us, it went "virtual" this year! There in spirit from open to close for sure. I'll be practicing 90kts again in my rocket ship in just a few months.
CMW will be happy to pitch in again next year to carry it to at least 8:15 :).

i-HVjsQS2-M.jpg

A few more photos from the Social. Took these early, before things got busy shaking barrels and changing taps.

Jesse won the t-shirt contest.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't grin like Andrew ;)

We started at 4PM this year, earlier than in past years, due to a concurrent Vans event. It seemed to be popular, although let's remember that our vendor friends typically can't close displays until 5. Shall we keep an earlier start time?

Thank your sponsors! It can't happen without them

Barrett Precision Engines (Rhonda!)
CQ Headsets (Scott)
Delta Pop Aviation (Don)
Flightlines (Tom)
Flyboy/Team Rocket (Blake and Vince)
JD Air (Darwin)
Kitplanes Magazine (Marc)
Lycoming/Thunderbolt (Chris)
SteinAir (Stein and the Gang)
xCruise/TruTrak (Andrew)

And last (but definitely not least), Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a great place to get insurance coverage for your RV. Gallagher has provided the location going on ten years now. It's hard to imagine a better spot.

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_170934016.jpg
    IMG_20220725_170934016.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20220725_171412306_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220725_171412306_HDR.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_20220725_180552565.jpg
    IMG_20220725_180552565.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_20220725_174236891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220725_174236891_HDR.jpg