What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop Storage

RV14aPapa

I'm New Here
G'Day,

Wondering how much shelving storage is recommended in a workshop?

I'm planning on storing the assembled sections down at the hanger.

Trying to figure out what is needed in the workshop at the house while I'm working on the various kits. Dont have a ton of room (12'x20') so I'm thinking I'm going to have to get creative. :)

Appreciate the help!

Storage

If I just count airplane shop storage, it's basically one (four shelf) unit. Maybe a shelf or two on a second unit. All the flat skins were stored behind the shelving sandwiched between the packing cardboard. Non-flat parts were stored on the top shelf. Small parts stored in a bin. Four (40 mini drawer) units have been home to nuts, bolts, washers, etc.
Of course it changed a lot over time. I have far more shelf usage if you count all the other stuff needed for paint, fiberglass, etc. Whatever you choose, keep an inventory of where every item is stored. It takes a bit of organization but saved me tons if searching time.

Single car garage

I’m building in a single car garage spot, put up two 4 shelf units from lowes and an above garage door hanging storage unit, the 4x8 one. Haven’t tested with a full kit yet, but maybe it’s enough.

storage / organization

I helped a new builder unpack the tail kit and organize his shelf unit:

I had the list in front of me with a column drawn to the right of the item list.

As he unpacked each item he told me which shelf it was going on and I wrote the shelf number in the column next to each row. It helped to walk up to the shelf and find the part because the part numbers seem to all be the same for a new builder.

Good luck on the build,

Jon

Get some kind of free-standing heavy duty shelf unit with wheels, e.g. this. When it fills up, get another one. Repeat as necessary. Moveable storage is really nice, lets you rearrange your shop when space is tight, etc.

Moveable shelves are nice. But don't store anything on the top shelf that goes across multiple shelving units. Ask me how I know.....

As a side note, rudders can't survive a drop from ~6 feet.

I would say that three 4 shelf units is a good place to start.

You will have a lot of tools that need to go somewhere as well.

As you progress, you will get creative with large parts - under beds, hanging from the ceiling, wall “art” . . . :rolleyes:

Finished parts like tails and control surfaces store well under beds.
I hung a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood by its four corners with rope that went to pulleys in my garage rafters. I could raise and lower it to get parts easily.

Back