What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's NOT included in the kit?

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
My 7 Q.B. is on order, I have almost all of the necessary tools and my shop is almost prepped for the build. I still have many months till the kit shows up...

2 questions:

1. What "extras" do I need to shop for now that aren't included in the kit? Aside from interior, avionics, and engine please. Are there lots of parts and hardware that I will be scrambling to find and holding up the build even more? I realize I will probably need some screws, hose clamps, and zip ties, but I have been reading the plans and this site and don't hear may complaints about stuff not included in the kit.

2. What "additions" or "mods" should be on my must have list so I can get them ordered ASAP as well? Things like the upgraded tailwheel and the slid canopy extensions..... what else?

Thanks, really excited about the build and don't want to get ahead of myself, but a YEAR to wait.......!!!! I need some research projects!

Toolman

Included

I replace the fuel valve (use Andair) and gas caps on all my RV kits. I also use flexible lines and AN fitting for the brakes. Besides that be ready for the 100 orders of random things over the years - electrical wire protection, clamps, standoffs, etc, etc.

Extras

If you need a list to get through fuse stage, add all the fiberglass stuff. Maybe add primer and paint for the interior.
Call and ask for an inventory of the Finishing and Firewall Forward kits. They will give you a good idea.

The first "option" in the empennage kit is manual or electric trim. Get the correct hardware.
In the wings, if you intend to put in an autopilot, you need to purchase the appropriate bracket for the aileron servo/manufacturer you intend to use (same for the fuselage/elevator servo mount).
You're a long way from this, but I don't know if the static port kit comes with a Van's standard Fuse or Finish kit, and a lot of people upgrade the static ports/fittings.
Pick up a selection of "Oops rivets" like this: https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products/oops-rivet-kit
If building an -A model, get the step kit.
If building a slider canopy, get the Supertracks extension from Flyboys.

One of the frustrating things for builders new to the world of experimental kit aircraft is the fact that not all hardware call-outs are going to be correct all of the time. Van’s is pretty good - when they say you need a particular length bolt, that is usually going to work out. But not always - and that’s just because of tolerance stack-ups and bolt lengths that are almost long enough….but not quite. The over-riding rule is not what is in the plan - it is what fits in YOUR particular installation.

Which is a long way of saying - if you’re waiting for a year anyway, make sure to go to SnF or Airventure and drop by the B&B tent, and buy an assortment of AN3 and AN4 bolts in various lengths. That way, when you;re trying to finish an assembly, and the specified bolt is just a touch short, you can go to your drawer and get the next size longer, and press on. Otherwise you’ll be stuck, waiting for a week for delivery of that one bolt from Van’s or ACS - or you’l use the short bolt when you shouldn’t.

And while you’re at B&B, buy a big bag of AN3 and AN4 nylon lock nuts so that you aren’t concerned about how ,many times you have used one.

All this hardware is cheap (compared to the finished airplane), and it is better to have it on hand and not need it than need it and not have it….

My long lead items:

Andair fuel valve for a dual tank, full return style system: 24 weeks
Sam James Cowl: 54 weeks
Engine: 38 weeks
Avionics: were booking build slots 30 weeks out, then 4 weeks to build/ship.
Paint/Primer: 2-3 weeks because I have to find suppliers willing to ship to CA.

Everything else normally showed up with 1-2 weeks of ordering it. I have a few dozen orders from Van's from misc parts, and probably 100 orders from Spruce on hardware, accessories, etc. You'll have plenty to do where if you have to wait a week for a hose clamp to show up, it's not going to stop progress on other areas of the plane, so don't worry about having absolutely everything ready before you start.

Get some parts bins and start draining and saving water bottles. Get a labeler that lets you choose the tape you want for the labels. Small parts like nuts and bolts go in the parts bins and rivets go in the empty and dry water bottles. That way when you knock a bottle over, you won't have rivets all over the floor.

The kits have the hardware in mixed bags, and you'll get to sort the stuff. But the plans or manual calls them by their part number, so it's the part number that goes on the bins. If you get a copy of the hardware lists in advance, you can start labeling the containers now.

Bins and Rivets.jpg

Incidentally, I haven't needed the funnel shown in the photo. Thought I would, but it's not needed.

What does come in handy are a few plastic trays from microwave foods. I'll move the hardware for a task to a tray and take that to the project. That way there's not a lot of extra stuff cluttering up the work area, and what I need is right at hand. If I'm riveting, I'll pour some rivets, just a few, into a tray, and leave the rivet bottle near it as a reminder of what size rivets are in there. Some tasks use multiple rivet sizes and then I'll put the rivet bottle in the tray as a reminder, with another tray for a different size rivet. You can see the black trays I prefer at the bottom right corner of the photo.

Dave

Be a little careful of consumables like tank sealant or epoxy and perhaps paint. Some of them have a shelf life. You'll know in plenty of time for needing them and can order them then.

Also, parts bought now, like lights, could have their warranties expire before you even start that part of the airplane.

Dave

Last edited:
Determination and drive to finish.

Luckily frequent visits to VAF can help. Also bumming rides, visiting other projects, and most important is support from your family.

Good luck with your forth coming endeavor.

Attachments

• one_bite1.jpg
    one_bite1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 108
, visiting other projects, and most important is support from your family.

+1 for visiting other projects.

I learned more from visiting projects and asking questions than I did working on my RV. VAF provides a wealth of information but there is no trade-off of looking at another RV7/RV7A being constructed and get the mental picture of what it will look like when you get to that stage. As you review the plan, note the items you don't understand and ask the builders when you visit their projects. A few minutes of looking at the real thing worth more than many days of scratching your head.

Toolman

The list of "must haves" will continue to grow here until your aircraft won't be able to lift itself into the air!

Vans sells an airframe, the rest is up to the builder's desires. Like others have said, look around and see what makes sense for you and your mission. Then take a hard look at your realistic timeline and use that to make lead time judgements. Makes no sense to have that $BIG$ engine sitting around going out of warranty while you're riveting the tail feathers. Same with avionics.. not to mention the fact that in no time what's offered today will be old news.

I my mind the critical items are the ones that will need to be "built in" or have long lead times. Given today's situation there is no easy answer to lead times. If it's not under warranty and you know you want it, buy it today. Otherwise Just In Time makes the most sense.

Lots to think about, but you don't need to make all the decisions today. This is a journey. Enjoy!

What engine are you planning? That will drive some different projects. How fast do you want to cruise?

I finally got an assortment of snap bushings from SteinAir, NAS - rivets ordered individual rivets not a kit. Paul recommended AN3 bolts good! Also assortment of all metal lock nuts for FWF. Black lacing tape for wiring.

The top of wish-I-had-done list is planning the avionics better along with knowing your wiring runs in advance. 3D models of components and of the -7 panel to firewall would be a must do. It is better to puzzle it together before getting all the boxes.

Andair valve -+1
I would add a parking brake for solo ground ops when windy. 20 kts windy at the pump.

Many of us got older kits and Vans has been improving - so all the stuff we missed might be taken care of now.

Lights are something you can think about. And each section gets them. A position light in the empennage and nav/landing lights for the wings. Some people have added a rotating beacon on the fuse.

Things to do in preparation

I spent almost a year looking for a part built kit to buy. While waiting I built a 6 ft roll around bench with 3 drawers for tools on each side, an 8ft long bench for wing assembly, purchased a lot of tools, clekos and other specialty tooling items. I did research on avionics, engines, bought a set of plans to study and searched out a number of part built and flying RV aircraft to inspect and understand the easy and hard parts of the build. I bought a number of part containers from harbor freight and got them all labeled up for shop stock and specialty parts. I used medicine plastic pill bottles for the different length rivets marked with a sharpie. This makes it easy when riveting up assembles with different length rivets. With all this prep there was still a lot of prep I needed to do before getting to building once I had bought a part built kit.
There are a lot of fuselage parts to build from angle and sheet stock so one suggestion would be to order some angle stock and sheet stock either from Vans or aircraft spruce and practice making some of the small parts you are going to need.

KT

I replace the fuel valve (use Andair) and gas caps on all my RV kits. I also use flexible lines and AN fitting for the brakes. Besides that be ready for the 100 orders of random things over the years - electrical wire protection, clamps, standoffs, etc, etc.

What gas caps do you use?

What is not included in the kit is patience and dogged determination. And bandaids. You will drill your hand a couple of times. Or maybe I’m the only one dumb enough to do that.

Thanks everybody for the great input! Love the parts bins idea! Thanks for the ideas on “gotta haves” and also for the “better waites”. I’m a planner, so I love this time that I have to read and dream, but I sure don’t want my big boxes to show up and then realize I’m missing important stuff I could have gotten ahead of time.
I’ve got my account set up at aircraft Spruce
I’m ordering the slider extensions
Saving my plastic water bottles
Setting up the air and workspace in the shop

Toolman

Setting up the air

FWIW I'm much happier after I added a dedicated regulator and outlet just for the rivet gun. They usually come with a flow valve that sorta lets it work at 90psi, but I'm getting more consistent results with the valve open and lower pressure (40 to 60 depending). Extra air outlets is nice anyway, plus not having to reset the pressure every time I change tools.

Also don't get tense about missing stuff when the crates arrive. Chances are you'll always have something to keep you busy while you wait for parts or supplies. So many ribs....

RTI regulator

FWIW I'm much happier after I added a dedicated regulator and outlet just for the rivet gun. They usually come with a flow valve that sorta lets it work at 90psi, but I'm getting more consistent results with the valve open and lower pressure (40 to 60 depending). Extra air outlets is nice anyway, plus not having to reset the pressure every time I change tools.

Also don't get tense about missing stuff when the crates arrive. Chances are you'll always have something to keep you busy while you wait for parts or supplies. So many ribs....

I run full pressure to a tool manifold then short pigtails for the air tools
I keep a RTI Micro Air 1/4" regulator on the low pressure pigtail. It's accurate and never changes once locked. A Harbor Fright works fine on the high side.
I also use an RTI on my Black Widow paint gun. You can't get consistency without consistent pressure.

so, Noho sent an interesting comment I didn't think of. Lights! so I would like wing mounted landing/taxi lights. What are the best kits out there for total lighting solution? I didn't realize the vans kit didn't come with position lights. Any links or ideas on what to research?

Toolman

Ok! Love the link to the RV14 thread! Here is what I know I want.

Andair Fuel selector- will order
Supertracks- In the Mail!
Fly LED "the Works kit" + tail light- In the Mail!
upgrade tailwheel fork- not sure which one yet
stick grip with "just the right amount of buttons"- no idea??

could I, should I order an interior kit?? long wait times right now, but I won't be at that stage for a few years.

I have a new shelf in the shop with space for more stuff. What do you recommend I buy while waiting for the kit?

Back