What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

08-08 step 3, HS skin extra dimple

lipper03

Builder RV14A & ZA750SD
Benefactor
I did it today, extra dimple on top rear tip edge hole, squeezer and skin moved and result is an extra hole, cracked and all. And it's too close to the edge for spacing. So I think the answer is a new skin. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Obviously do not take the word of forumers on this one alone, talk to Van's.

It looks to me that the only thing this hole rivets to is the rear spar, in which case it may end up being sufficient to flatten and thoroughly deburr this hole, then drill two more holes, one through the spar and one through the rib.

Also, kudos to you on the edge deburring and the crispness of your dimples.

Obviously do not take the word of forumers on this one alone, talk to Van's.

It looks to me that the only thing this hole rivets to is the rear spar, in which case it may end up being sufficient to flatten and thoroughly deburr this hole, then drill two more holes, one through the spar and one through the rib.

Also, kudos to you on the edge deburring and the crispness of your dimples.

Thanks for the kudos, I was thinking can I save it at first, but later this morning I ordered a new HS skin, and needed to order pro seal anyway, so made it kind of worth it.

I did flatten it and drilled #41, and reamed to a #40, seems to be ok, no visible cracks left, but it's only 2/16th from the edge. I guess you are saying, drill new holes forward and right (and match drill to the sub parts) to make up for the loss of these and leave these flat, and use fill in later?

Yes will be asking Vans as well, always want to learn how to fix mistakes, which was the reason for the post, to get ideas.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Back