What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Fastback

Fast Back Canopy

Nope

Did it twice and used a rocket type from Airplane Plastics both times.

They are great to deal with.

Carr

+ 1 for Jeff at Airplane plastics

He even did a stress relief for me on a wood form I made to eliminate any bending.

Suggestion: For your tailcone skin, think about using an epoxy putty to fill the gap between formers and skin before riveting. Then rivet when solid. This makes a very nice tail cone skin with no low spots. Consult David Paule or HFS for details. Send me your email for pics if desired , [email protected]

The canopy frame will need to be rebuilt to fit the turtle-deck and new canopy. Make sure you find a good tig welder to do this.

Fastback from existing.

I did use the existing canopy frame and and bubble. Had to make new bulkheads, redo the canopy frame and was very fun project to do. I have bulkhead patterns I could share if you want.

I still have a ways to go before I start on mine (just a few more house projects to finish, I swear) but Airplane Plastics has them ready to go. They even offered to stretch it a couple inches at the front so I could move the panel. Same price as the regular canopy too. Will definitely be contacting them when I get to my fuselage.

He even did a stress relief for me on a wood form I made to eliminate any bending.

Suggestion: For your tailcone skin, think about using an epoxy putty to fill the gap between formers and skin before riveting. Then rivet when solid. This makes a very nice tail cone skin with no low spots. Consult David Paule or HFS for details. Send me your email for pics if desired , [email protected]

What was involved in stress relieving a finished canopy, and can it be done after paint?

Stress relief

The basic bubble was overblown where it joined the rear seat bulkhead shape. This is a natural outcome of the drawing process. So I made a wooden form to match the aluminum tailcone at the rear seat bulkhead and clamped the plex to conform. Then Jeff put it in the oven and the plex relaxed and conformed when cool. Jeff knows this stuff. Just work with him.

Back