What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fabricated an Aileron-Elevator gust lock

Storch

Completed during the annual.

It needed to be safe with absolutely no possibility of causing a control jam. Additionally I wanted it to be very easy to operate and light weight. It weighs less than a pound.

Slide the tongue forward and put the locking pin in place when on the ground. Place the locking pin in the co-pilot seat back when not using.

BTW- the locking pin is an old VHF antennae, cut and bent to specs. Welded a washer to attach the lanyard to it.

Used material that was lying around.

This is a prototype, proof of concept. Hence no paint and lots of extra holes. Simple, free $$ and easy to build.
It works well.

Attachments

• Aileron guist lock-11.jpg
    Aileron guist lock-11.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Aileron gust lock-1.jpg
    Aileron gust lock-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • Aileron gust lock-5.jpg
    Aileron gust lock-5.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Aileron gust lock-6.jpg
    Aileron gust lock-6.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Ailerongust lock-8.jpg
    Ailerongust lock-8.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Aileron gust lock-7.jpg
    Aileron gust lock-7.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 198
  • Aileron gust lock-9.jpg
    Aileron gust lock-9.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 174
while that will do well holding the ailerons, I WOULD NOT trust a 3/16 steel rod of that length to handle the elevator in a strong blow. If it is 1/8", you stand no chance of it not bending. What are you doing about the rudder pedals? Those get that greatest force.

Larry

Take the stick and whack it all around hard for an hour and see how it does.
That is what will be happening on a windy ramp.

Maybe some padding to avoid metal on metal?

It's located quite closely to the pivot, so there's not a lot of leverage that it can exert on the stick.

Also, I'd insist that any control lock be something that blocks access to the controls, to prevent someone from attempting to fly the plane with the control lock engaged. To me, that's a fundamental consideration.

Dave

Back