What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder tie wrap clip wrong rivet

gotyoke

Well Known Member
The instructions on 07-05 call for a LP4-5, which I set from the clip side. This little nub is all I had on the other side.

9B51D016-3D97-4329-927B-48C66219CAA3.jpeg

Not happy, I drilled it out carefully and re-riveted from the other side. The shop side did not expand enough to secure the plastic, so I was able to pull off the clip by hand, no problem.

I drilled that one out carefully, and now I'm out of LP4-5 rivets. I don't think it was a good choice for this rivet anyway. What could I try instead?

Hum, mine seemed fine with the LP4-5, not as short as yours looks though.

Attachments

• 5A19894A-C63B-4EE1-9F34-6F42D69392AD.jpg
    5A19894A-C63B-4EE1-9F34-6F42D69392AD.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 341
Got an answer back from support. Van's stands by the LP4-5. They think I used the wrong rivet, however I know I used the LP4-5, because the bag came with two and I blew through them both on this task.

I guess this means it was my riveting technique that caused the problem. Got new LP4-5s coming from Aircraft Spruce, so if I don't post again, it means I corrected my technique.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but did you install the clip the right way around? If it's on backwards then the rivet will be way too short. Otherwise, there is no way the appropriate rivet is too short.

Another potential cause is if you used a rivet tool with too large of a nose piece, such that it didn't push the rivet tight to the bottom of the hole in the in the clip.
A lot of RV-14's have lots of flight hrs now, with the clip installed as described in the manual.

Another potential cause is if you used a rivet tool with too large of a nose piece, such that it didn't push the rivet tight to the bottom of the hole in the in the clip.
A lot of RV-14's have lots of flight hrs now, with the clip installed as described in the manual.

This is the explanation I suspect is the most likely. I do not have a rivet tool with a narrow nose piece, just one that seems standard. It looked like it was seated well enough, but I could not be certain because the clip itself blocks the view. Hmmm, maybe I could use a tiny washer slipped over the mandrel to ensure contact?

Last edited:
This is the explanation I suspect is the most likely. I do not have a rivet tool with a narrow nose piece, just one that seems standard. It looked like it was seated well enough, but I could not be certain because the clip itself blocks the view. Hmmm, maybe I could use a tiny washer slipped over the mandrel to ensure contact?

Yes you can. Or even a stack of multiple washers to fill up the space within the clip and keep the nose piece on the outside when you set the rivet.

Back