What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight /GTN 650 X Skyview = Flight Stream???

Vans101

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I posted this question on the Dynon forum however it did not get any answers so I thought that I would post it here.

I have ForeFlight and I am super happy with it.

I have a Dynon Skyview and I'm super happy with it.

I have a Garmin gtn 650 and I am just barely okay with it.

With Skyview and ForeFlight I can easily zap flight plans up and down from ForeFlight on the iPad to /from the Skyview and this is super easy.

Then... there is the Garmin gtn and I will use it for an instrument approaches however it would be substantially easier if it had the same zapping up and down functionality and ease-of-use between foreflight and the GTN.

I see that Garmin offers a flight stream 120 and 220.

Can somebody please give some sort of guidance or recommendation as to if this device would be beneficial in an avionics system that is centered around a Skyview system?

I imagine that it would work great with a complete Garmin system however using it to communicate with the GTN that is connected to a Skyview might result in unintended consequences.

If you were to pick a 120 or 220 what the heck is the difference or best option?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Here's my approach

I have the same basic setup as you: Foreflight on the iPad, and Skyview HDX and Garmin GTN-650xi in the panel. I use the GTN exclusively as my navigator: It talks to HDX through the Dynon arinc module, thereby driving my flight director and autopilot. Hard IFR comes reasonably easy flying KELLI GIRL.

I went ahead and bought the Garmin Flightstream 510, which resides in the GTN's SD slot. It seamlessly transfers my Foreflight flightplans into the GTN route page. I could have saved money with a lower-level FLightstream, but the 510 requires zero wiring.

I am absolutely pleased with this approach. Zapping flightplans into the panel is a snap. Also, any time I change the flightplan in either device (GTN or iPad), it immediately asks me on the other device if I want to accept/update the change. And with the 650xi, I use a normal SD card to update the monthly database: The 650xi retains that data in its own on-board memory, so once the update is done, I can replace that SD with the Flightstream 510. Stated differently, I DO NOT have to use the 510 to upload the monthly databases...it stays with the aircraft.

Now to your central question/request: "Can somebody please give some sort of guidance or recommendation as to if this device would be beneficial in an avionics system that is centered around a Skyview system?"

I suppose it's a matter of how you view your system. It's not that my system is CENTERED around Skyview or the GTN. I view mine as a navigation suite coupling the two. The GTN is the primary nav source, while the Skyview is the primary output (PFD, autopilot, etc). I don't remember the last time I navigated off the Skyview flightplan, but that's my backup to the GTN.

As for the Flightstream 120 vs 220, I am VERY pleased that I chose the 510. Way easier to implement. I just wish it didn't cost so dang much.

>I am VERY pleased that I chose the 510. Way easier to implement. I just wish it didn't cost so dang much.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIRTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(cyber yelling intended)

Dang...that is a lot of Moo-La-Laa.

I am not opposed to add some wiring and weight to not have to pay 1300 bucks...so...next question...

What does the 510 do that the 110/210 does not do?

I have a regular old GTN-650 (not xi) so how does that fit into the equation?

I just want to be able to zap up and down from ForeFlight to the GTN.

THANKS for your advice!!!

>I am VERY pleased that I chose the 510. Way easier to implement. I just wish it didn't cost so dang much.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIRTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly - especially when you consider this is a trivial expense for Garmin to just include it on all boxes.

I’ll continue to fat finger the flight plan into the 650 and spend the $1300 on avgas.

Carl

>I’ll continue to fat finger the flight plan into the 650 and spend the $1300 on avgas.

Dude... That will not take long knowing that fuel prices have skyrocketed this last year (for some unknown reason)...

replies

"What does the 510 do that the 110/210 does not do?"

See here for a features comparison chart: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/153681/pn/010-01194-41 . Right up front I see that the 110 is not GTN-compatible. As mentioned, I like that I didn't have to do hardware wiring installation work for the 510. Just insert it into the GTN's SD card slot.

"I have a regular old GTN-650 (not xi) so how does that fit into the equation?"

The non-xi 650 reads database info directly from the SD card: It's not downloaded and stored in the GTN. However, for the xi, when you load SD database updates into the xi, it downloads into the xi's memory meaning you don't have to keep that same SD in the slot once the update is done. You can remove it from the xi and reinsert the 510 unit.

In other words, for your non-xi GTN, you'll have to use the Flightstream 510 unit all the time as your SD card for each monthly ATC database update. To me, that means hauling that little $1500 card back and forth to my desktop computer to download the monthly database from fly.garmin.com . I'm sure to lose that card eventually.

"What does the 510 do that the 110/210 does not do?"

See here for a features comparison chart: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/153681/pn/010-01194-41 . Right up front I see that the 110 is not GTN-compatible. As mentioned, I like that I didn't have to do hardware wiring installation work for the 510. Just insert it into the GTN's SD card slot.

"I have a regular old GTN-650 (not xi) so how does that fit into the equation?"

The non-xi 650 reads database info directly from the SD card: It's not downloaded and stored in the GTN. However, for the xi, when you load SD database updates into the xi, it downloads into the xi's memory meaning you don't have to keep that same SD in the slot once the update is done. You can remove it from the xi and reinsert the 510 unit.

In other words, for your non-xi GTN, you'll have to use the Flightstream 510 unit all the time as your SD card for each monthly ATC database update. To me, that means hauling that little $1500 card back and forth to my desktop computer to download the monthly database from fly.garmin.com . I'm sure to lose that card eventually.

Scroll;

I have a similar avionics configuration, and what I use is Garmin Pilot's "database concierge."

My concern is wearing out the SD card reader by insert/withdraw of the SD card each month.

With the flighstream 510 SD card, your ipad will download database updates via wifi at home, and when you get to the plane it will sync the databases to whatever connected devices (I have a portable aera in addition to the GTN.)

Scroll;

I have a similar avionics configuration, and what I use is Garmin Pilot's "database concierge."

My concern is wearing out the SD card reader by insert/withdraw of the SD card each month.

With the flighstream 510 SD card, your ipad will download database updates via wifi at home, and when you get to the plane it will sync the databases to whatever connected devices (I have a portable aera in addition to the GTN.)

Dang, I hadn't recognized that capability. I'm trying it out with the next database update.

I have a GPS175 to GRT Sport EX. Do the database updates sync with ForeFlight or only Garmin pilot?

Garmin Pilot

I have a similar set up. HDX Garmin 650, Flightstream 510. Here's the problem. You can only update the nav database on the 650 using Garmin pilot. So I keep Garmin Pilot.

My HDX will WiFi ADSB info to almost any app except Garmin pilot. So no traffic or weather on my Ipad unless I get a portable ADSB in device.

Do I really want to do that when I have a nice panel with duel HDX screens already showing ADSB info?

Another problem with this set up is the 650 can fly it's flightplan to the HDX but it can't go the other way. I am sure this is by Garmin design.

I did not build this plane but if I did, for these reasons, I would use all Garmin. Then everything would talk to each other.

Dang, I hadn't recognized that capability. I'm trying it out with the next database update.

Yes sir, it's a pretty cool trick. You'll have to setup the concierge in the Garmin Pilot app, and maybe your GTN too. The flighstream card acts as a wifi router (or something, forgive me I'm not an IT guy). But you'll put in a wifi password and then the GTN and Garmin Pilot app will talk to each other, allowing the database transfer on startup.

I use the ipad as a backup and for plates, so most of the time it stays in my bag and I can remember to bring it home. Can't tell you how many times (before the flightstream) I would forget to bring the SD card for updates.

And the wifi download isn't that bad.. by the time I'm done with taxi checks/runup/etc it's already uploaded everything.

Cheers
Chris

Yes sir, it's a pretty cool trick. You'll have to setup the concierge in the Garmin Pilot app, and maybe your GTN too. The flighstream card acts as a wifi router (or something, forgive me I'm not an IT guy). But you'll put in a wifi password and then the GTN and Garmin Pilot app will talk to each other, allowing the database transfer on startup.

I use the ipad as a backup and for plates, so most of the time it stays in my bag and I can remember to bring it home. Can't tell you how many times (before the flightstream) I would forget to bring the SD card for updates.

And the wifi download isn't that bad.. by the time I'm done with taxi checks/runup/etc it's already uploaded everything.

Cheers
Chris

Ah, now I know why I didn't utilize this capability. I'm a Foreflight kind of guy, and this requires Garmin Pilot.

Back