What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W screen

clam

Well Known Member
Over the last few months my 430W has developed screen issues. The photos better describe the problems than words, but what are these, what causes them, and most importantly, would a screen R&R fix the issue? Otherwise, the unit works great. I have the same question in at Garmin support. Thanks.
PS. Please overlook that cap screw above the unit... that's embarrassing :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 430W screen 1.jpg
    430W screen 1.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 283
The Garmin 430/530 units have served well since 1998, but are rapidly becoming obsolete.
Garmin support for these units is waning as parts become unavailable. Flat rate repair is now in the neighborhood of $1700 with a 6 mo. warranty. How much longer will Garmin support repairs/databases? I would think twice before spending that kind of money, but rather consider biting the bullet and upgrading to one of their newer navigators, if you can find one.

I follow you, and my plan is the Avidyne 440 direct, slide-in replacement if my repair proves too costly. Thus my research. And a unit with screen problems has significantly less resale and/or trade-in value. Thanks for the repair information.

FWIW, I was told by a Garmin rep at AirVenture '21 that they have parts available for the 430/530 and "that at the current rate, would last about five more years" ie,2026. In speaking with several of the avionics shops I learned that they are already cannibalizing unrepairable units for parts(buttons, screens, etc) to be used in future repairs. They seem to think that due to the number of units still in use today, there will be repair available after Garmin drops out. Whether or not it will be worth the $$ depends on your need for bells and whistles.

Good to know, thanks. I’ll try to get an update on that from Garmin too. That 430W is like my previous loaded Chevrolet Suburban at 249k miles... lotsa bang for the buck ... and paid for many, many miles ago.

Over the last few months my 430W has developed screen issues. The photos better describe the problems than words, but what are these, what causes them, and most importantly, would a screen R&R fix the issue? Otherwise, the unit works great. I have the same question in at Garmin support. Thanks.
PS. Please overlook that cap screw above the unit... that's embarrassing :rolleyes:

That looks like moisture contamination of the polarizer (see CSTN, Passive Matrix Display components.)

The rusted screw cap might be telling you something :)

Would a Flight Velocity Simulator Bezel do the trick?

Maybe consider purchasing this Flight Velocity bezel and swap out the screen from it? It is only $379.00. I can't get the page to upload here but it offered by Flight Velocity. It appears to be a bezel for a Flight simulator with the same face and buttons as the GNS430.

I just replaced my 430W with an Avidyne IFD440. My 430 was working fine but I wanted the enhanced functionality…as the IFD440 is an actual FMS rather than just a navigator. I’ve found the additional ability to upload flight plans from Foreflight on my iPad as well as use the iPad as a full-size IFD display to be astonishingly useful.

Despite my initial skepticism, that is indeed a direct slide-in replacement using the Garmin tray. No wiring, no re-pinning. The whole install took about 20 minutes and that was mainly because I didn’t know exactly what I was doing in configuring. I was kind of shocked at how straightforward it was.

FWIW, I was told by a Garmin rep at AirVenture '21 that they have parts available for the 430/530 and "that at the current rate, would last about five more years" ie,2026. In speaking with several of the avionics shops I learned that they are already cannibalizing unrepairable units for parts(buttons, screens, etc) to be used in future repairs. They seem to think that due to the number of units still in use today, there will be repair available after Garmin drops out. Whether or not it will be worth the $$ depends on your need for bells and whistles.

no there wont. once garmin drops out no repairs will be legally available. a certified avionics shop must use approved manuals to repair units. garmin has NEVER made those available to anybody, hence, the send it back to garmin policy that they use. a tso'ed navigator must be maintained as per the TSO by an approved shop, even for a EAB. they cannot even change a full board without the proper manual and those are not available. people need to realize that the days of the 430/530 are coming to an end and they will not live on like the old days of radios. when garmin pulls the plug, and that day is coming soon, it will be game over when it quits. either buy a serviceable unit or upgrade.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

430 Screen repair

The screen on my 1998 430 (now 430W) went bad a lot like yours about 10 years ago, I sent it in and Garmin replaced the screen and they fixed a few other things, came back looking new. No problems since then. Take your 1999 Ford Mustang back to Ford and ask what a rebuild to like new costs?

Anyway my 430W still navigates, communicates, and does all the things I need the unit to do. I think Garmin told me they sold over 200 thousand of these systems, so I think they will be around a long time. But when it dies and their are no parts I'll replace it, but that day hasn't come yet.

Cecil

The screen on my 1998 430 (now 430W) went bad a lot like yours about 10 years ago, I sent it in and Garmin replaced the screen and they fixed a few other things, came back looking new. No problems since then. Take your 1999 Ford Mustang back to Ford and ask what a rebuild to like new costs?

Anyway my 430W still navigates, communicates, and does all the things I need the unit to do. I think Garmin told me they sold over 200 thousand of these systems, so I think they will be around a long time. But when it dies and their are no parts I'll replace it, but that day hasn't come yet.

Cecil
I completely get that. My 430W was working great, rocksolid and completely reliable. I upgraded to the IFD440 because to me it was worth the cost and 20 minute install to get 21st-century electronics and user interface, but I certainly understand that others see that equation differently. No regrets… the IFD440 has exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
Your issue isn’t related to moisture, delamination or anti-glare issues. This problem is within the polorizing layer of the LCD panel underneath the plastic screen protector breaking down. Search LCD vinegar syndrome. As you continually power up your unit the breakdown of the poloarizing layer will continue and get worse with heat cycles.

You basically have a few choices.
1) Live with it since its mostly an issue when its off
2) Garmin flat rate repair - $1850
3) Disassembling your 430 and getting it repaired. Luckily I’ve had success getting the polorizer replaced for an extremely reasonable rate. Feel free to PM me and I’ll point you in the right direction.

GNS 430 Display

Ours has gone beyond PLAID

Any suggestions other than making it a door stop.

Attachments

• 2022-10-06 resize.jpg
    2022-10-06 resize.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 97
  • resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Unusable as navigator.jpg
    Unusable as navigator.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 81
Your issue isn’t related to moisture, delamination or anti-glare issues. This problem is within the polorizing layer of the LCD panel underneath the plastic screen protector breaking down. Search LCD vinegar syndrome. As you continually power up your unit the breakdown of the poloarizing layer will continue and get worse with heat cycles.

You basically have a few choices.
1) Live with it since its mostly an issue when its off
2) Garmin flat rate repair - $1850
3) Disassembling your 430 and getting it repaired. Luckily I’ve had success getting the polorizer replaced for an extremely reasonable rate. Feel free to PM me and I’ll point you in the right direction.
Is there a 4) DIY replace with a screen from a cannibalized unit, assuming the person is comfortable with CB soldering work? Or is replacement on this unit too specialized / needs special equipment or something?

We had two Garmin 420Ws in our plane. One had already been to Garmin for refurbishment ($1200). The second unit's screen was having similar issues described here. Considering that at a Garmin factory seminar, we were told that parts support would only last through about 2025 for the 400W/500W units, we upgraded to a Garmin 750xi. I replaced the two 420Ws with one 750xi and a second comm and got what I could for the used 420Ws. (At the time, Garmin was offering a trade-in incentive for 400/500 series upgrade to the Garmin 750xi) My wife and I consider the swap to be one of the best dollars spent on upgrades. The 750xi is very user friendly along with a large screen, as compared to the 400/500 series.

….The 750xi is very user friendly along with a large screen, as compared to the 400/500 series.

The 750Xi is by all reports a great navigator, and a significant departure from the 430W’s god-awful interface. But in looking to replace the 430W, I didn’t want to spend the money for the unit as well as incur the cost of re-paneling my airplane. The IFD440 fit in the same 430 tray and required no re-wiring. I do agree that it’s a pretty small screen though. I don’t use that screen for any navigation tasks because of its size, and I already have all the MFD data on my EFIS. I have, however, been very impressed with the IFD100 iPad app that slaves the entire IFD440 screen interface, bigger-than-full-size, to my 11 inch iPad over the Avidyne’s wifi network. I can toggle between Foreflight and the IFD screen easily. I haven’t done it yet, but I suspect the greatest value of the app would be for instrument flight plans…entry, changes, and pop-ups.

Last edited:
Is there a 4) DIY replace with a screen from a cannibalized unit, assuming the person is comfortable with CB soldering work? Or is replacement on this unit too specialized / needs special equipment or something?

as an IFR navigator, no. an IFR gps must be tso'ed, to keep that TSO, it must be maintained as per the manufacturers documents. garmin does not make those documents available to even a certified repair shop.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back