What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot

I vote not needed. ~1400 hours flying RVs with two axis SkyView autopilots and very happy.

For that matter I have never found a need for a rudder trim servo.

Carl

I agree, rudder trim or yaw damper not needed. In all cruise configurations, my 14 is always in coordinated flight.

I also didn't need a rudder wedge. The 14 vertical stabilizer offset was perfect.

After the first 100 hrs I noticed a yaw in cruise. As suspected it was the nose wheel belleville washers loosening. After an adjustment, all was well again. Now on 475 hours with no further adjustments.

I installed the Garmin yaw damper and love it. It makes a noticeable difference in
turbulence, at least to me. 50 hrs flown so far. Not that expensive, easy to install if done early and not that much weight. I wasn't going to install one but someone talked me into it, very glad I did.

I considered it but am glad I didn't install it. I also removed the aileron trim as it is also not necessary for me and would rather not have the spring on the control surface.

Use damper

After 200 hours I would error on having a yaw damper than not having one. I’ve tried with it off and on and my flying partner says she can tell the difference especially in the Florida afternoon when the thermals are really kicking in. It’s easy to install and like a lot of “options” the cost was not that significant.

Back