What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust locks - RV-4

jull_under

Hello Everyone-
Any ideas or suggestions for gust locks for all surfaces.
Must be portable.
Where can you buy something or has anyone home made these.

TIA !

I would not recommend the Air Gizmos ones.
Reasons? I used them for a season but was not happy with them: The straps are stiff, the tension is difficult to adjust, they are quite heavy, and didn't hold well. More than one morning I found the one installed tightly on the previous night lying in the grass.
I then bought the Antisplat product which is very good, but unfortunately not available for the -4.

I'm sure that using a search engine with words such as "gust lock aircraft RV VAF" will return many a thread and ideas on the subject...

Tie down the plane and pull the tailwheel tight towards the rear, insuring the tailwheel can't pivot to unlock the rudder. Then use front or rear lap belt to hold the stick aft and support it left/right. Zero dollar gust locks!

I agree with Fitz. The seatbelt is the most simple solution for the ailerons and elevator. Even if you're thinking about sitting it outside during "OSH21, Wednesday Night" level weather, just make sure you're pointed into the prevailing wind. But the Rudder is never really safe in any gusty winds, even if the tailwheel springs/chains/steering link is holding it.

I've found Steve Melton's Rudder Gust Lock design to be the only thing I'd trust in Oshkosh level storms. Everything else really torques on the entire assembly a bit much, inducing stresses in directions the rudder horn and hinges really wasn't intended for. Especially tailwinds.

Here's Steve's idea.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rudder-gust-lock

Steve’s gust locks +1

I’ve been using Steve’s gust locks for over a year on rudder, elevator and ailerons and found them quite good !!! Maybe a little expensive but so is the airframe.

For the rudder I made a simple lock from scrap that pins the rudder horn to the rudder stop:
- I drilled a vertical hole in the rudder horn and the rudder stop.
- I placed two pins in a 7/8W X 4ishL X 1/8 thick plate at the distance to hold the rudder in trail.
I used no.4 screws for the pins and used nuts as spacers as required so the plate sits level and clears the vertical portion of the rudder horn angle.

Do you have a pic of the rudder lock ?

Thanks.

For the rudder I made a simple lock from scrap that pins the rudder horn to the rudder stop:
- I drilled a vertical hole in the rudder horn and the rudder stop.
- I placed two pins in a 7/8W X 4ishL X 1/8 thick plate at the distance to hold the rudder in trail.
I used no.4 screws for the pins and used nuts as spacers as required so the plate sits level and clears the vertical portion of the rudder horn angle.

Tie down the plane and pull the tailwheel tight towards the rear, insuring the tailwheel can't pivot to unlock the rudder. Then use front or rear lap belt to hold the stick aft and support it left/right. Zero dollar gust locks!

This works pretty well. I made so gust locks for the rudder using 1/2" PVC and foam pipe insulation (pool noodles). A little bulky but light and fits in the RV-4.

This one in my plane is spring loaded and folds under the panel when not in use.

Attachments

• GustLock.JPG
    GustLock.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 63
use front or rear lap belt to hold the stick aft and support it left/right. Zero dollar gust locks!

Not a good practice. This forces the control surfaces into positions that do not stabilize the airplane in high winds on the ground. This also places stress and unwanted tension on the control linkage as all the force is transferred "backwards" all the way through the system to the stick. The control linkage system is not designed to work like that.

It's best to purchase or fabricate locks that lock the control surface to the adjacent airframe structure. I made my own out of leftover sheet aluminum and some angle. Add a "Remove Before Flight" flag and you have a proper set of locks.

Last edited:
I’ve posted this before. A piece of aluminum angle out of the scrap bin, some padding and some 1/8” white line. At Oshkosh last year there were a lot of broken rudder horn lock pins - the rudder presents a long moment arm compared to the short pins. Consider turning the long rudder lever arm from a disadvantage to an advantage. Remember to practice you Bowline knots for the loop that goes around the elevator journal. Very easy to untie when ready.

Carl
IMG-0516.jpg

Back