What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Dsub Pins

David Paule

Well Known Member
I expect that everyone but me knew these things. Here's how:

Fit the white end of the tool over the wire.

Press it into the socket. It goes in quite far. When it's in far enough,

Pull the wire out. It;ll drag the tool with it.

In some instances this technique just won't work. What seems to be the case is that the pin isn't set in properly. Use the red side of the tool to firmly seat it. Then proceed as I described.

(I should say that I knew that the red is the insertion end and the white is the removal end. But that's about all I knew.)

Dave

And sometimes even when it is done correctly they fight you to the bitter end!

if I have a tough time inserting the extractor I sometimes cut the wire off leaving about 1/8” of it coming out of the hole. Then it’s easier. Then I install a new contact on the cutoff end. Life is too short.

I also try to avoid twisting the tool at all costs when inserted. That only splays out the dovetail end of the tool bending it in the process. If I want to turn the tool I remove it from the hole, turn it and then re-insert it.

Daniels Manufacturing makes some all metal bad-*ss extractors that look like spring loaded tweezers with the extractor portion at an angle so you don’t have to fight the wire to use. Very nice but very expensive for the casual user. I hide mine.

Last edited:
Agree with Jim. The tweezer type Daniels extractors are a significant improvement in ease of use and durability.

DRK145 for low density size 20 contacts and DRK95-22MB for high density size 22 contacts.

DRK145 Image.png

Steve

Of all the little tools one needs to acquire in doing any electrical work on the avionics, a D-sub pin extractor is NOT a good one to cheap out on.

Use a safety wire to push the female pin out after inserting the tool and a female pin or your finger to push the male pins out. Works good. If safety wire bends, the tool is not set right.

Back