What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probe needs gasket/sealant?

pv9

One of the Dynon EGT probes on Cyl #1 on my O-360 was spitting some very small flecks of tar like substance out of the probe hole on the exhaust header. The probe had 1000 hours on it so I replaced with a new one, which is doing the same.
Dynon folks tell me that it eventually seals up. I am wondering if I should use a tiny amount of something like this or just let it seal up on its own?

https://www.jetlube.com/product/deacon-8875-thin-thermal-reactive-paste-sealing-compound

The compound is approved for exhaust systems with a very high temperature range and high pressure.

Thank you in advance.

I had some of that black stuff weeping out of one of the joints between sections on one of my Vetterman exhaust pipes when I first flew my plane. There didn't seem to be any of it at the end of the pipe, and it did in fact seal up at the joint after about ten hours. Haven't seen it since.

With that said, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the compound you referenced.

Back