What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

high oil temperature

Hola Kedy, We are going to need a bit more info, like your engine type, ignition type, ignition timing. Do you have an engine monitor or EFIS that logs engine data? If so, you could share it with us by uploading it to Savvyaviation.com.

Oil Temp

First flight engine runs on an engine not yet broken in will easily result in high oil temperature. In fact, the primary way to determine if break in has occurred in the first couple of hours of running is to note that the oil temperature has dropped noticeably. Resist the temptation to fly around at low power settings. The engine must produce at least 75% power during these first few hours to break in and drop oil temperature. Fly it fast, though to keep cylinder temperatures and oil temperatures withing max limits. Oil temp at 220 is ok for now, 250 is ok for brief periods .
Ed

The oil temp on the 14/14A runs somewhat hot compare to other planes but your temp is very high, even for new engine. As a reference, my oil temp on my first flight was in the 210-215F range. Your CHTs are also higher than I would expect for a IO390, even as a new engine with the OAT of 63F

Is this a EXP119 Engine or the standard IO390?

If this is your first flight, I think you may need to run it a lot harder for breaking period. With that MAP and RPM, I can't imagine you are going very fast which also brings the oil temp up.

It is worth double checking your baffles and timing to make sure all is correct.

Congrats on your first flight.

The oil temp on the 14/14A runs somewhat hot compare to other planes but your temp is very high, even for new engine. As a reference, my oil temp on my first flight was in the 210-215F range. Your CHTs are also higher than I would expect for a IO390, even as a new engine with the OAT of 63F

Is this a EXP119 Engine or the standard IO390?

If this is your first flight, I think you may need to run it a lot harder for breaking period. With that MAP and RPM, I can't imagine you are going very fast which also brings the oil temp up.

It is worth double checking your baffles and timing to make sure all is correct.

Congrats on your first flight.

Exp119 El motor el nuevo

Airspeed is required for cooling, 16"MAP is not very high, and he could be flying w/o wheel pants and gear fairings.

Is this model the one with the cowl flap?

Exp119 El motor el nuevo

This model with the exit air shrunk, it will run hotter but still not at the temp that you are seeing.
Run the engine at 75%+ power and see what is your temp, make sure cowl flap is open and if you need additional exit air, you can remove nose gear intersection fairing off, that will give you a bit more exit air area.

upgrade for oil system

With all due respect, I am not sure if I would consider that an upgrade. Wouldn't have been simpler to just remove the tunnel cover all together to provide more of an exit which is very easily reversible?

Of course, I don't means to be critical of your approach and this is merely my opinion.

So back to your oil temp, have you verified other component that play a role in the oil temp. Do you know the accuracy of your oil sensor and have you verified if your Vernatherm is operating as expected.
What ignition system to you have and has the timing been verified?

Back