What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SW P60G2/R7K44 Questions

Todd Bynum

I purchased a partially completed 14A empennage from a builder who used AZKO primer. He had primed all of the vertical and horizontal stabilizer, rudder, and elevator components, but had not started on any of the tail cone parts.

I have spent a lot of time reading the forum and evaluating the pros and cons of priming and which products to consider. I have decided to prime and have settled on SW P60G2/R7K44. I can source from a local SW Industrial Store at a reasonable price. I also plan to use the 3M PPS system.

If you are using this product and spray system, would you be kind enough to share you experience with the following:

1: Which nozzle do you use? (needle size if you don't use the 3M PPS)
2: What is your reducer ratio? 1:1.5 is recommended, but I see some are getting better results with 1:2.

P60G2

I purchased a partially completed 14A empennage from a builder who used AZKO primer. He had primed all of the vertical and horizontal stabilizer, rudder, and elevator components, but had not started on any of the tail cone parts.

I have spent a lot of time reading the forum and evaluating the pros and cons of priming and which products to consider. I have decided to prime and have settled on SW P60G2/R7K44. I can source from a local SW Industrial Store at a reasonable price. I also plan to use the 3M PPS system.

If you are using this product and spray system, would you be kind enough to share you experience with the following:

1: Which nozzle do you use? (needle size if you don't use the 3M PPS)
2: What is your reducer ratio? 1:1.5 is recommended, but I see some are getting better results with 1:2.

Most was sprayed with my DeVilbis FLG 1.3 tip but also sprayed some recently with the Black Widow HTE 1.3 tip. When mixed the way most of us use it, it's pretty thin.

Most of us mix 1 part primer to 2 parts activator.

Spray very light. I turn the flow down. Make one pass all in the same direction then another 90 degrees. Stop as soon as you can see a change in color. It's barely perceptible and gets darker when it cures. Perfect color is translucent kinda greenish gold. Easy to see markings. Shoot solvent as soon as you're done or it sets up in the tip and makes a splatter mess.

Coverage?

Can someone give me a feel for coverage of this primer?
How much do you mix for an average session in the paint booth?
Any rule of thumb here?

Calculator

Can someone give me a feel for coverage of this primer?
How much do you mix for an average session in the paint booth?
Any rule of thumb here?

Check my blog (below) for "Epoxy Paint Calculator".
It's an Excel sheet. One tab calculates Epoxy for layups, P60G2, Kirker EnduroPrime, Kirker Ultra Glo and Jet Flex.
To answer directly, I typically shoot 3ft² per ounce mixed. Adjust ft² till it suits your style. Very little waste. I also use 60ml rubberless syringes to suck paint out of cans. Almost zero waste. Thin products are also measured with syringes but no plunger. Just pour in with a finger over the tip then let go.

Back