What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass finishing

wirejock

Well Known Member
I tried to use Dan's method. Apologies if it's not exact.
I got pretty quick. Sanding the rough micro isn't so bad. It goes pretty fast this way.
Apply micro. I dilute the mix 5% by total volume with denatured alcohol. After tons of testing with various solvents and quantites, it was the most effective. I use West 206 for time, but you have to work fast because the alcohol evaporates quickly. It allows for a thinner mixture with more micro. Spreads easier and leaves less texture. Less waste. Easier to sand. Mix in micro to stiff peaks stage. Like whipped cream or egg whites. Apply an opaque layer all over. Work fast. Once the alcohol evaporates, it gets thick and difficult to spread. Walk away. Cure.
Take out the Sureform File and knock off the rough layer.
Put a 30 grit disk on the random orbital and knock it down till it's almost even.
I use a mini belt sander for complex curves but only to knock off excess. The goal is to get an optically flat surface. To get there, the fine details are hand sanded with various home made tools. Notice in the photo all the various shapes.
Sand the whole thing with 80 grit on a stiff sponge or rubber pad. Ready for two coats of neat epoxy.
Sorry, I can't post vertical photos.
20220901_154905.jpg

20220903_145805.jpg

20220903_152756.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.
I never found the need to dilute micro, it seems to spread and sand plenty easy to me, but to each his own. I do suggest a trip to your local auto body supply, as they generally stock some wonderful sanding blocks of varying shape and firmness that are much nicer than the typical home brewed devices builders improvise with

Sanding blocks

Looking good.
I never found the need to dilute micro, it seems to spread and sand plenty easy to me, but to each his own. I do suggest a trip to your local auto body supply, as they generally stock some wonderful sanding blocks of varying shape and firmness that are much nicer than the typical home brewed devices builders improvise with

I have lots. Complex curves require tubular shapes.
The blocks get used on flat parts.

Back