What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UV Dye to find oil leak?

Tram

Well Known Member
I don't mind throwing this in the daily work beater, but I'd like to hear from others who may have used this to find a leak.

I've got a small oil leak off the left side of my O-360 and I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

Any possibilities of this stuff hurting the engine?

Last edited:
UV flashlight

Buy a cheap UV flashlight from Harbor Freight. Turn off all the lights in the hangar and use the flashlight. You will see the oil.

I've used it several times. Found a very hard to detect cracked case on an O-360 once with it. It works extremely well. Add to the oil, run for 5 to 20 minutes, then do the UV check in the dark with a blacklight. If you run it too long the oil spreads far from the crack.

oil leaks

Go fly and get the engine warm. (they leak faster warm)
First wash the area with brake cleaner, electrical cleaner, or anything that will evaporate fast and clean. Ground run a bit look fast, no leak? run some more, no leaks yet fly short flight, look again. Repeat till you see the little bugger.
That big fan blows tiny bits of oil all over the place. Been there, done that, kinda thing.
Regular oil does glow But, not as much as leak detector and a black light.
I'm lucky, Because my hangar is real dark with the door shut.

Your luck may vary Art

Back