What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

short gear leg replacement

Ham

My left gear seems to sit about an inch aft of the right. One option might be to replace the left gear leg (short). Can such an item still be had? Anyone ever done it?

(I'm asking Van's as well.)

Verify a few things first.

I would speculate either the socket on the engine mount is bent (unlikely without cracking the mount), or the leg itself is bent , possibly both are. Harmon Lang, whom likely made them, may be able to advise you on straightening the ones you have, rather than going through the difficult process of trying to replace one, or both and get them drilled correctly. Even if they have to be annealed, then re-heat treated it may be worth while. The fact that your talking only an inch leads me to believe it should be an easy straighten. If there is firewall/engine mount locational misalignment from the build, a mere 1/8" would make a difference putting one leg AFT and one leg FOR enough to generate your description.

Yes, they can straighten out your gear legs and will turn them around quickly. I would send both of them in. I just sent a pair of long ones out there and came back quick and straight.

Back