What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost of Ownership

sloengineer

Those of you that have Dynon, Avidyne or Garmin, what is the annual cost of maintenance for your system. By that I mean, charts, databases, obstacles, etc...

I know subscriptions and prices change from time to time. We'll be making avionics purchases later this year, and I'm making a decision matrix based partly on acquisition cost and cost of ownership. Features and capabilities are outside of this particular line of questioning.

Thanks!

I have an IFR setup in my RV7A with dual Dynon displays and an Avidyne IFD540.

I don't update the obstacle database regularly.

Dynon updates are free, but you also need the Seattle Avionics ChartData, which is $99/year or $599 for a lifetime subscription. Seattle has a slow interface for downloading data but it's functional once you get used to it.

My Avidyne subscription through Jepp is $327/year.

So total of $426 annually for US IFR operations.

David

Garmin G3X IFR Charts are $149/year for the displays, and the 'be legal' NAV Data sub for a GTN is $299/yr.

For VFR, $49/year for the G3X Screens, which includes charts.

Last edited:
The expensive update is the Garmin GTN-650. The total update package is $499/year, but I only buy the NAV update ($299/year) - required for IFR. The Nav, terrain and obstacle database updates for the SkyView are free from Dynon - and the SkyView is a far superior display than the GTN-650.

The optional chart data package to display geocentric VFR and IFR sectional charts, approach plates and such is available from Seattle avionics for $99year, but I got the lifetime subscription deal from them so I average a fraction of that each year.

Carl

GRT - data included

I know subscriptions and prices change from time to time. We'll be making avionics purchases later this year, and I'm making a decision matrix based partly on acquisition cost and cost of ownership. ...

If you are in the US, GRT's database updates are free. Here is the one I have:

https://grtavionics.com/product/sport-ex-efis/

Touch Navigation Database and you'll see the file there ready to download.

In Europe, I have to buy the Jeppesen data.

If you are in the US, GRT's database updates are free. Here is the one I have:

https://grtavionics.com/product/sport-ex-efis/

Touch Navigation Database and you'll see the file there ready to download.

In Europe, I have to buy the Jeppesen data.

Beside being a small company, I still think GRT has hands down the best/most feature full EIFS. I have flown behind GRT/Garmin and Dynon and my order of preference is as I have listed them.

For iPad use, I use WingX; as a cfi, free to me.
For EFIS, I have GRT. As already mentioned, no cost for software upgrades or US maps.
For ifr, I have a 430W. Full US coverage of ifr charts/waypoints/etc is $450/yr from Jepp, or $300/yr from Garmin. I don’t understand Jepp’s business model.

I have an IFR setup in my RV7A with dual Dynon displays and an Avidyne IFD540.

I don't update the obstacle database regularly.

Dynon updates are free, but you also need the Seattle Avionics ChartData, which is $99/year or $599 for a lifetime subscription. Seattle has a slow interface for downloading data but it's functional once you get used to it.

My Avidyne subscription through Jepp is $327/year.

So total of $426 annually for US IFR operations.

David

And to piggyback on that, I just got a subscription from Jepp to update TWO Avidyne's for a combined price of $539 annually.

Approach Plates?

Will both Dynon and Garmin display georeferenced approach plates on the MFD? Or is that only available on the navigator?

Thank you guys! I have been consuming as much content as possible from Garmin and Dynon. They both mentioned IFR charts, but not approach plates in particular. I would really like to be iPad free in the cockpit with our avionics. Well, at least iPad as a backup and not primary.

In Oz, I use OzRunways visual charts and that sets me back around $60 a year. For Dynon flight planning, I use a combination of Wifi from the Ipad & a database of airports I developed myself from AIP data that I can update on the AIP release cycle if desired.

Will both Dynon and Garmin display georeferenced approach plates on the MFD? Or is that only available on the navigator?

Dynon has a subscription program with Seattle Avionics for geo-referenced Sectionals, IFR Lo and High, Approach / Departure Procedure Charts and Airport Diagrams (including Flight Guide diagrams) for $99 per year, including both VFR and IFR data.

Back