What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

conical engine mount gasket torque - 0-360

N605RV

Hello everyone, I'm the person who discovered a cracked engine mount on my RV4 during conditional inspection. Uneventful TIG weld finished, now reinstalling the engine that has the conical engine mount gaskets. What is the correct torque setting? I've seen people use a distance, washer to washer or simply 40lbs torque, which seems pretty tight. Advice anyone?

Not to hi jack the thread...but

I have no idea as to the answer to your question...so forgive me but I would be very interested in pictures of the crack ......was there another post with those ? Thanks. Stew

Hi, yes though not sure how to tell you to access it. will send photos
Mike

Attachments

• 20220207_110529.jpg
    20220207_110529.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220207_120759.jpg
    20220207_120759.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 66
engine shock mount bolt torque

Hello everyone, I'm the person who discovered a cracked engine mount on my RV4 during conditional inspection. Uneventful TIG weld finished, now reinstalling the engine that has the conical engine mount gaskets. What is the correct torque setting? I've seen people use a distance, washer to washer or simply 40lbs torque, which seems pretty tight. Advice anyone?

Do you mean the bolt torque in the rubber shock mounts that hold the engine to the steel tubing engine mount? If yes, Van's calls out the standard torque for an AN7 bolt which is 450-500 in-lbs (37.5-41.7 ft-lbs) per AC 43-13, table 7-1.

Friendly tip: I just did these on mine after replacing the shock mounts. You're going to need a second set of hands to hold the wrench while you torque the bolts.

these are the rubber engine mount bushings I'm using. these are not the 71032 bushings. Are these as equal to/better?
thank you
Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-01 100348.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-01 100348.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 57
OK, looks like those are for a conical engine mount. I was talking about dynafocal mounts...but I think the bolts are still 7/16" diameter, so the torque would be correct. Just as a sanity check, make sure your bolts are 7/16" diameter before you torque them.

If they are some other diameter, AC 43-13 still applies for the size bolt you have.

Last edited:
question was, the conical mounts I bought for 'experimental' versus the ones specifically for the Lycoming 0-360. just wondering. thanks

Back