What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy adjustment

maxmirot

Well Known Member
My canopy likes to clip the outside edge of the passenger seat when closing.
I have push it about 1/2 inch to my right to clear the seat and close properly.

I am not the builder.

How should I correct the canopy so it falls into place like it should?

Max

There are no canopy side to side adjustments that I know of.

One thing to check is verify the seat back is installed correctly. Make sure the hinges holding the seat back are not incorrectly meshed “one tooth off” in the outboard direction. There should be some clearance between the seat back and canopy. It may be a small amount….but enough to clear the seat.

Last edited:
Make a couple guides from 3/4 inch UHMW

FP09092015A0000L.jpg

FP09092015A0000N.jpg

I am not the builder.

Max

If guides were not installed (not in the plans) then it is normal to need to push the canopy to the right (if closing from the left) to allow the catch to line up.

Seat back placement and upholstery can add to the problem.... Search canopy guides. They are easy to make and install.

Also can trim seat

I had same issue even with the guide blocks. I just used a vise and hacksaw to trim 1/3 inch off upper outer seat edge. Used car trim for aesthetics on aluminum edges.

My old RV-6, that I purchased about 20 years after it was first flown, has the UHMW guides, and also had a cuff sticking up about 3" at the top outboard corner of the right seat (intended to guide the canopy away from the seat back) (one of the first changes I made was removing that thing).
I quickly found that the easiest way to deal with the canopy askew during closure is to simply reach up and grab the aft end of the canopy in the middle as soon as it is within reach, letting it down without the side-load induced by holding it on the side. Not perfect, but effective enough.

The 3/4" thick UHMW guides are pretty common out there in the fleet. The plastic material cuts easily and is readily available from plenty of sources. The ones I made for my RV-7 guide from the inner edge of the latch rather than the outside like the ones in the photo a few posts back. Not sure if it really makes any difference.

I am not the builder.

Max

Can I suggest that you consider looking at the gas struts? While I don't doubt that its possible for the canopy naturally sit off-centre, an unequal amount of pressure in the gas struts could push the canopy over to one side. My left strut has lost a little pressure over time and lately I've noticed - like yours - the canopy also needs a bit of a push to STBD to get it to close without getting hooked up on the roll-over bar. It never used to do that so I'll look at replacing the struts in the near future.

Cheers,

Mike

The tip up canopy is pretty flexible in torsion. Mine will do that if lifted from one side, just no way to stop it. Consequently, I always lift and close from the center. I have the alignment blocks and consider them required. If not and it comes down from wind or getting dropped it can chip off pieces of the canopy plexiglas.

When in the hangar I close the latch then close the canopy - leaving a gap to lift from the center. Also since clothes get hung easily on the outside handle, it has become standard practice to do this. It is easy to damage the mechanism. Then you always have a finger hold to lift from the center as already mentioned.

There are different types of guides. I got (like) the type that has a trough for the latches. (also recommended above)

Last edited:
On my rv-6 I have the same problem just on the left side. I have tried swapping the gas struts, and that made no difference. Got the plastic guide like Bill. Thay work great, come in black or white. Nice people to work with too.

Hope this helps
RD

I made one for each side out of a curved piece of aluminum angle and riveted it in place. I do not have a picture.
But, can get one tomorrow.
Free out of the scrap pile. Looks good to me.
Art

Back