What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit status website

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
Vans has put up a website to look up kit status.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/kitstatus/

You need the kit number, your email address and zip code. I don’t know at which point an order hits the site, Vansaircraft must have just opened it up for business.

I looked up a kit order for EAA Chapter 292 teen build that I am helping with. Gives projected crating date.

If you have a kit on order don’t use it unless you have a strong drink ready, they are truly swamped.

Well, that’s pretty handy.
It has all info associated with that kit # even past shipments.

Last edited:
I am wondering when they assign an estimated crating date. My RV-10 empennage was ordered five months ago (when the estimated lead time was 4 months), and there is no estimated date.

I am wondering when they assign an estimated crating date. My RV-10 empennage was ordered five months ago (when the estimated lead time was 4 months), and there is no estimated date.

I ordered my QB in May and they have an estimate of Aug-Oct 2022 for my crating date on my RV-14A. My lead has gone from 12months to 18months. Guess I just take my time building emp as best I can.

I ordered my RV-7 Finish kit in April '21 and was quoted a crate date of Sep. 30th. Per the status page, The parts are still being produced and there is no estimated crate date. It all ok with me, I've got lots of work left on the fuselage and wings :)

My crate date was supposed to be Aug 16th. I have spoken to Vans several times and been assured my kit was being crated. Yesterday I received a notification from the Kit Status site that advised my kit would be crating between Nov 8th and Nov 19....😡...that bit of news did not make me happy...

Communication Improvement

I too was disappointed to learn that my wing kit crate date is delayed an additional 2 months beyond the 6 months I've been waiting. Nevertheless, I understand there are factors well beyond Van's control that cause the delays.

At the same time, I applaud Van's for creating the Kit Status website which is a major improvement to their customer communication. The email notification of status changes is another feature that I especially appreciate. I imagine that these enhancements will reduce customer status inquiries, hopefully resulting in more time to focus on fulfilling orders.

Automatic Email Notification for Status Updates

I didn't find anywhere to sign up for the status updates. The email I received last night states:

"We'll work hard to reduce those timeframes where we can, and we'll send you a new email whenever something changes. You can also log in and view your kit tracking information and more details at any time by visiting the kit order tracking website."

It also repeated this below my latest status update:

"You are receiving this email order update because you have an active kit order with Van’s Aircraft. We send these updates when the status changes on one or more items on your orders, to keep you informed of your order status."

The information for my kits is incorrect, and an entire kit that I have ordered and paid for isn't even listed. Considering their performance across the board lately, I'm not surprised.

When are people being quoted an 'estimated?' crate date? Is that when they call you and ask for the balance to be paid? Do they give you any window to make the payment if say, you are out of town? I believe that the led times posted on the website are for shipping, not crating. Crating takes up to four weeks supposedly, so crating should start a month in advance of the calculated lead time.

I called Vans yesterday, before the Status Website email was sent, to inquire about my empennage status. I’d previously been told that it would crate in late September and ship in October. Yesterday, they told me it would go to crating “soon” and it would take two months to ship, once in crating. Then the Status email came and it says my empennage is in production. I ordered in May.

If it sounds like I’m grumbling, I’m not. It is purely a data point. I fully understand why and accept that. I’ll start banging rivets when it arrives, and not a minute before.

Wow, I feel for you guys! There was a time, many moons ago, that an empennage order was shipped the same week and yielded instant rivet banging. A glorious sensation it is. Hold strong and do something else, other than hit the refresh button on the new web page. Hopefully it will improve, because life can change so much in 18 months.

For reference, I ordered my -14 Emp kit and got on the list July 12th. This site says the kit is Status: Parts Being Produced, Estimated Delivery: (unset). My crating start lead time was originally estimated to be 4 months, and that is next week.

Also for reference, I got on the list for the Wings kit on September 10th, with an estimated crating start lead time of 9 months. The page gives the same status for both my emp and wings kit, so I'm guessing this page is pretty much useless until crating begins.

I have received literally no email updates regarding either of my kits since my order date, which I take to mean nothing has changed. I expect I will be sorely disappointed here shortly.

Last edited:
I ordered and paid for an RV-9 empennage kit in late July. The old status page was showing a 4 month lead time. Now the new status is "Parts Being Produced" and no shipping date. I had hopes for August + 4 months. The QB fuselage and wings show "Nov 7 2022 - Jan 30 2023". So there is that. OTOH, I have been flying my RV-6 for over 20 years so I've got the grin. Big time.

Last edited:
Just a data point.

Ordered Emp and Fuse in early April.

Got the fuse this week! Emp still hasn't shipped but is in crating now and should ship in the next 2-3 weeks.

-Dan

Hi everyone. Appreciate the comments and questions here. I'll provide a few answers and details. We're working hard to try to set up some new communication channels, and the kit status website is one of them.

We will send it as soon as we reviewed and finalized the estimated crating date range for your order. That will be an automatic email notification process, with the specific info included in the email as well as a link to the site where you can review more.

I ordered my QB in May and they have an estimate of Aug-Oct 2022 for my crating date on my RV-14A. My lead has gone from 12months to 18months. Guess I just take my time building emp as best I can.

Unfortunately, delays across the supply chain have resulted in our forecasted lead times not always hitting the mark. We're adjusting and working on re-forecasting, with the understanding that we can't always know what may happen that could inject changes to the schedule. We will always do the best we can to estimate the timeframes involved, and this new communication system will help us communicate that in a much more timely and complete manner.

I ordered my RV-7 Finish kit in April '21 and was quoted a crate date of Sep. 30th. Per the status page, The parts are still being produced and there is no estimated crate date. It all ok with me, I've got lots of work left on the fuselage and wings :)

Me too. :)

We will add the estimated crating date range as soon as we are able to forecast it with reasonable accuracy (we are working through a number of supply chain variables here, many of which we don't control directly - but we are working to mitigate wherever possible), and whenever it is updated you'll get an email from the new system letting you know.

I too was disappointed to learn that my wing kit crate date is delayed an additional 2 months beyond the 6 months I've been waiting. Nevertheless, I understand there are factors well beyond Van's control that cause the delays.

At the same time, I applaud Van's for creating the Kit Status website which is a major improvement to their customer communication. The email notification of status changes is another feature that I especially appreciate. I imagine that these enhancements will reduce customer status inquiries, hopefully resulting in more time to focus on fulfilling orders.

That's certainly part of the goal, and we appreciate your understanding. We're working hard to try to accurately determine timeframes so we can communicate them to you!

Where the heck do you sign up for that? Can't find it anywhere.

You actually don't need to sign up, we set it up for you already. Once a status update is published, you'll get an email.

The information for my kits is incorrect, and an entire kit that I have ordered and paid for isn't even listed. Considering their performance across the board lately, I'm not surprised.

Please drop me an email (greg-at-vansaircraft-dot-com) and let me know your kit number and what's missing. I'll look into it personally.

When are people being quoted an 'estimated?' crate date? Is that when they call you and ask for the balance to be paid? Do they give you any window to make the payment if say, you are out of town? I believe that the led times posted on the website are for shipping, not crating. Crating takes up to four weeks supposedly, so crating should start a month in advance of the calculated lead time.

Good questions, and frankly we (Van's) created a bit of a complicated communications situation. So I will try to clarify what we've communicated in the past, and understand that we'll work to improve this going forward.

Crating Date - This is the estimated date (expressed as a window of time on the calendar) when we will assign your kit to our crating team's schedule. For QB customers, that window can initially be as long as a few months due to variables that can affect the schedule (a number of factors, but especially international container shipping these days). As the crating dates get closer, we refine those timeframes and update them. Note that for standard kit customers, we have not initially published crating dates on the site except for those whose kits are being crated in the next few weeks. We're working on standard kit projections and will update the data as soon as we can.

Lead Times - These are the times we publish on our website, and are the estimated times before a given kit can go out to our crating team.

Shipping Date - We've not communicated this specifically in the past (and we recognize that we need to, so we're working on that), but this is the approximate date upon which we believe we will be able to have a kit ready for the truck to pick up on our dock after the crating process is completed.

Datapoint: We have more than 1,600 pending kits on order right now and we're working diligently to get them ready to go to their new homes over time -- and to communicate better with everyone who's waiting. We're certainly not perfect, but we're working to get better in that regard!

I called Vans yesterday, before the Status Website email was sent, to inquire about my empennage status. I’d previously been told that it would crate in late September and ship in October. Yesterday, they told me it would go to crating “soon” and it would take two months to ship, once in crating. Then the Status email came and it says my empennage is in production. I ordered in May.

If it sounds like I’m grumbling, I’m not. It is purely a data point. I fully understand why and accept that. I’ll start banging rivets when it arrives, and not a minute before.

I'll check on this one, as well. As we refine and improve the information we can share on the kit status site, I believe everyone will have better information. Of note, we had some empennage/tail kit parts at a third-party vendor that were severely delayed, which substantially impacted our ability to deliver those kits. Much of those parts are coming in now, which will allow us to work on packing and shipping the kits they go into.

Wow, I feel for you guys! There was a time, many moons ago, that an empennage order was shipped the same week and yielded instant rivet banging. A glorious sensation it is. Hold strong and do something else, other than hit the refresh button on the new web page. Hopefully it will improve, because life can change so much in 18 months.

We'll get back to that point eventually. The massive increase in orders, combined with the supply chain problems and staffing issues at vendors and occasionally here at Van's have really beat up the schedule for sure. We're working to improve that wherever we can.

For reference, I ordered my -14 Emp kit and got on the list July 12th. This site says the kit is Status: Parts Being Produced, Estimated Delivery: (unset). My crating start lead time was originally estimated to be 4 months, and that is next week.

Also for reference, I got on the list for the Wings kit on September 10th, with an estimated crating start lead time of 9 months. The page gives the same status for both my emp and wings kit, so I'm guessing this page is pretty much useless until crating begins.

I have received literally no email updates regarding either of my kits since my order date, which I take to mean nothing has changed. I expect I will be sorely disappointed here shortly.

We'll do the best we can for you, and the whole point of the new kit status website is to help improve the communication. It will become useful for you in advance of crating, and we are refining and working on the data for standard kits that are not yet reflected on the new site. And I am glad to dive into your kit order statuses if you like - just shoot me an email or PM.

We're working to expand our capabilities here, and we both appreciate the frustration as well as the patience and understanding that most folks experience. We only have about 120 employees in total, so we're not a big company and we've invested more than ever in new systems and process improvements over the past several months. We're equally frustrated with the backlog, but we are doing everything we can to change the situation. We'll continue to endeavor to manage the significant number of variables that impact the delivery schedules. And we're working a lot of overtime, producing parts and packing/crating kits. I'm confident that over time, the steps we're taking will help.

Feel free to reach out to me directly, my "door" is always open.

greg

Greg.

I for one really appreciate the fact that you took the time to publicly address these issues. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thank you!

It really is a perfect storm out there in the world right now and if there was an easy solution, it would have been implemented. We've generally become accustom to information being so "instantaneous" these days that it is easy to get frustrated when we don't have information. Any and all progress info is appreciated.

I picture 120 people, working as hard as they can, at Vans to try and deliver a great product. For that, I'm very appreciative. I try to limit my "interruptions" of their work day.

We'll do the best we can for you, and the whole point of the new kit status website is to help improve the communication. It will become useful for you in advance of crating, and we are refining and working on the data for standard kits that are not yet reflected on the new site. And I am glad to dive into your kit order statuses if you like - just shoot me an email or PM.

No need, but thanks. I fully recognize and appreciate both the delays and the queue nature if the process, and trust everything is in order. Shop is ready. Skills are ready. Wife is ready. Just need some metal. Was hoping to have something to do over my 2 week Christmas break. Crazy times we live in.

Thanks Greg, the information is much appreciated.

Just about to pull the trigger and join the queue for a fuse kit, so any updates are always welcome

Thank you Greg for addressing each point directly. Communication is the salve for frustration.
I would suggest that you update the Van's website which currently says on the lead time page "The timeframe estimates below are our best prediction of how long, if you place an order today, it will take to release your order from our factory to the shipping company. These estimated time frames do not include the time it takes for a kit to travel from the Van’s Aircraft factory to your location."

I really appreciate the communications, Greg.

My suggestion is that you stop using the term "crate date" in any customer facing communication. It's really an internal milestone on the way to something that does matter to the customer - the ship date. There's no reason we customers need to know about your internal production milestones, and I think the fact they're communicated adds to the confusion.

JMHO

joe

I really appreciate the communications, Greg.

My suggestion is that you stop using the term "crate date" in any customer facing communication. It's really an internal milestone on the way to something that does matter to the customer - the ship date. There's no reason we customers need to know about your internal production milestones, and I think the fact they're communicated adds to the confusion.

JMHO

joe

Well, except you need to have your kit fully paid by the crate start date.

I second all the positive comments about the communications and updates. I ordered all the kits except for avionics and the engine last May. The Empennage kit had a 4 month lead time when I ordered it. On 9/22 I checked after not hearing anyting and was told the Empennage/Tail kit will go to crating at the end of the month (September) and it may take another 4-5 weeks for shipping. So I am expecting it anytime, I emailed earlier this week after not hearing from anyone and I received an email containing the information about the kit status website. It stated the kit is now "estimated" to go to crating the 3rd week in December! All the other kits are in the parts being made status with no estimated crating dates. I paid for two of the kits in full, 75% of the 3rd kit and the min down on the Finishing kit. I sold my 172 to afford the RV which was the only way I can afford to go to an RV as I made a commitment to pay cash or not do it. I am wondering if all my other kits will be delayed past the stated lead times when I ordered. I was hoping to get the Eppennage kit so I can start working on it while I wait for the other kits to arrive. Nevertheless, I am grateful for your open communication and update and certainly believe everything is being done to mitigate the backlog. THANK YOU!

Last edited:
I'm just curious, I have two kits on order, but I didn't receive any email about the new kit status page although it does show the status of my orders. Am I alone in not getting a notification?

But I do want to thank Greg for providing us with more information. Anyone who has tried to buy virtually anything these days knows the supply chain is a disaster, but more information really helps smooth the nerves. I appreciate knowing the crating date, as well. I wish I lived closer so I could visit Van's and see what the manufacturing and crating process looks like. It seems like something of a miracle how many parts are packed into a single crate, and I imagine it takes some time.

I guess I was lucky, but when I ordered my empennage kit early this year, Van's hit the anticipated crating date, shipping date and delivery date down to the day. I was impressed. I was also surprised to find at least one part with a date stamp the same day that I received the bill of lading, which was the day before the shipping company picked up the crate. No time wasted there.

It's a long way of saying more communication is better and keeps imaginations from running wild.

Part Supply Problems in All General Aviation

I was ordering some common parts from Aircraft Spruce but the item was backordered. It took 4 months for AS to get the items back in stock and shipped. I am sure Vans and other kit manufacturers are facing the same problems as well. I was flying out of Long Beach airport toward the harbor, there is still about the same amount of massive container ships anchored off the coast, just a data point on the supply shortfall.

I'm just curious, I have two kits on order, but I didn't receive any email about the new kit status page although it does show the status of my orders. Am I alone in not getting a notification?

I'm pretty sure that you'll only get notifications when the status of an order changes. Notifications where not sent when the website went live. I can see why they did it that way - it would have been a huge flood of emails all at once.

I ordered my finish kit a long while back trying to plan the lead time. Well progress has been slow and I don't think I'll be ready for the finish kit when that time is reached. A few extra delays will be okay by me :D. Alternatively, I could pass my spot off to the next person who's in more of a hurry for their finish kit.

I am wondering if this page is being used. The status for my order says "Last updated: November 9th 2021, 6:02:01 pm"
Does this get updated daily for all customers, or is it updated on a customer by customer basis, and only when things change. If so, why was it ever updated for me?

I finished my kit years ago but can understand each ones frustration. Like Scott Card said in his 11/4 post, a lot can change in 18 months... heck these days things can change in just a few days! The one thing about Vans Aircraft is we all know they are a company that's always bent over backwards regarding customer service. I'm sure they hate these delays more than their customers do.

Kit Status Updates

My order status page also shows a "Last Updated" date of November 9th, so I assume this was intended to display that last time any active order was updated. I seem to recall that the date was being updated on at least a daily basis early on, but it appears to have stopped updating on 11/09/2021. I'd guess something was inadvertently changed behind the scenes; otherwise, this would imply no orders have been updated in the last 3 weeks.

I still see Nov 9 last update as well, I’m guessing the system requires manual inputs but I’m trying not to bug anyone there. I’ll update if I get an update to the site status or a shipping notice, expecting my -10 emp to ship in the next few weeks.

Same here, still says Nov 9 and only shows my emp kit even though I ordered the wing kit also back in october.

Data point for 10 kit.

Ordered tail and wing kit, and quick build fuselage in July. Kit status page lists nothing as far as wing and tail are concerned. November 9 was the updated date.
Was told by Van’s today to expect an email in two weeks with information regarding status.

Shipping notice!

Just to add a data point - Fuse kit ordered March 4th with a estimated crating date of August 30th. Website pushed back to crating to 14-28 November. Just received shipment notification from shipper. Six month advertised lead time, actual lead time was approx. Nine months.

Another data point. Ordered RV12 finish kit in Feb, with an estimated crate date in August. The Nov 9th online update said it would crate a week later. Just called the factory and was told it is still has not crated a month later. So I wouldn’t put too much faith in the online tool if they can’t predict 1 week out.

This is my third RV, and I love the planes, but this doesn’t feel like the Van’s I used to know and love. The worst part is that they took my payment in full in August, and still haven’t shipped the product.

We're working through some very complex supply chain, vendor, and manufacturing logistics issues - and I will be posting a more detailed update shortly. Thanks to everyone - Each day we talk with people who are patient, frustrated, and sometimes both. We're working hard to address parts shortages and delays, and their causes, in an unusual and difficult operating environment. More soon.

I don't envy anyone dealing with this mess.

My experience was a little strange with the last kit received. Van's asked for final payment in August, told shipping in 2-4 weeks. Actually shipped in mid-Nov.

Driver didn't collect a check - so I emailed ABF and asked how they wanted me to pay for shipping. They responded Vans paid for it. OK - that seemed different.

I started searching and found a credit card charge from Vans for 803.81 in early Nov on a credit card I don't think I had used for Vans for months. - it was strange. No receipt emailed no amounts on the shipping docs.

With everything from lumber to aluminum increasing in cost, labor issues. to shipping containers jumping from 3000 to 30,000 i don't know how this all ends.

I suspect I ordered my finish kit too early. I'm sure there's someone who will be in eager anticipation of it if I give my crating date to someone else.

I know this is a slightly different variation of the issue, but my W-710 ribs were backordered in my September delivery of the Wing. It is coming up on 3 months, and I still haven't gotten it. Latest update was that it hasn't passed QC twice. Pretty frustrated.

On another note, the order of additional parts on the website is also frustrating. No updates for over a week, and then a shipment of $36 worth of goods, with an $18 shipment, and it's unclear to me whether they even tried to combine two additional orders I had put in the meantime. I would expect with the new system, they could look up all the orders for a given customer at the time of packaging and combine them all.

Hopefully they can tell us how all this is going to improve in the new year. I understand the delays due to the global supply chain crisis, but this shouldn't stop them from over communicating, and providing some amount of relief to their customers. In the meantime, I will try to remain as patient as I can.

- Paolo

One correction here on my experience. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Vans had combined 4 orders into one shipment so shipment prices felt a lot more reasonable. Thanks Vans!

Well I just got charged $7.64 for my supposed 5.00 to my door 2022 calendar because I checked least expensive shipping...

Kit Status Page Says "Parts Being Produced..."

...but I have my empennage kit showing up next week. Nice surprise considering I check the site almost everyday.

Does that mean that you are seeing updates to the Kit Status page? Mine has said last updated 11/9 since that time. Is yours being updated?

Back