What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset for a Small Person

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
My girlfriend is pretty small and is not having good luck with a properly fitting headset. I've tried a Lightspeed Zulu and Clarity Aloft. I've tried springing the headband tighter on the Lightspeed, and it works OK. The Clarity has the same problem, but with that one, I think she may not be seating the earplugs very well. Just having a tough time communicating over the intercom in the plane, and I really don't want her having a less than comfortable flying experience.

Anyone have actual experience with a light weight and small ANR headset? What normal size headset might be better for a small person? About all I've found under "kids" are the entry level/Pilot/Sigtronics types.

Thanks

Might try the CQ1 headset. Has bendable wire that you can bend to conform to head plus foam earplugs that come in a small size suitable for kid or woman.

Give Tanya a ring. She does good ear tip insertion coaching over the phone too.
We can even make it "Extra!" small for you.

A perfect opportunity for an in-ear headset - use the smallest foam tips provided and insert them like this (I confess I usually skip the handwashing....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMMHudYoQ40

The Ace Copilot reports that an additional benefit of the in-ear headsets is that they don't mess up her hair. My hair is beyond help, so that feature is irrelevant to me. :)

Lightspeed Sierra’s work well for small heads

Attachments

• B1D56937-9241-4D44-8B26-A2566BAB4460.jpg
    B1D56937-9241-4D44-8B26-A2566BAB4460.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 187
Appreciate all the info. I did just spot the Sierra add for "youth" and small people. Very interesting!

Thanks also for all the in-ear posts, but that's not working right now. I've tried the Clarity multiple times with her. Maybe later if no luck with an improved headset.

Thanks also for all the in-ear posts, but that's not working right now. I've tried the Clarity multiple times with her. Maybe later if no luck with an improved headset.

I have had Clarity, Quiet Technologies, and now have the CQI. Clarity and QT does not compare to the CQI as far as I am concerned. With properly inserted foam ear pieces, the sound quality and noise reduction is better than my Lightspeed Zulu's. You can wear a hat, glasses or sunglasses, with no interference,,,not to mention that your head doesn't feel like its been in a vise when your done flying.

UFly mike

Went through this same issue and ended up with the Ufly mike setup with the earlier Bose QC 35 ANR headphones. Light weight, comfortable and works well for a passenger, they have more current versions that address some of the failure mode concerns with the first generation (not really issues for a passenger).
Figs

Back