What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tom Clark Slider Fastback?

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
Anybody know if this is still an option out there? There was a gorgeous slider fastback at OSH. The owner wasn't the builder and I really didn't engage him much.

Most of the search posts are pretty old. Almost done fixing this one up and contemplating a new start next spring. Showplanes would be my second choice.

The recent completion on the homepage piqued my curiosity. . .

Thanks,
JV

I'd like to know too. Even if it was just an old drawing set that could be copied.

Otherwise, we would just have to roll our own.

Fastback RV8

I built a RV8 with Tom’s fastback turtleback in 2009. I used an IO390, Sam James cowling system and a extended hub Hartzell BA prop.

75% cruise speeds were around 185 kits with a low altitude wide open speed of 200 kts. I ran a measured closed course race speed of 234 mph.

Sorry, I didn’t keep any drawings…search “N299AD” in Google for pictures.

I built a RV8 with Tom’s fastback turtleback in 2009. I used an IO390, Sam James cowling system and a extended hub Hartzell BA prop.

75% cruise speeds were around 185 kits with a low altitude wide open speed of 200 kts. I ran a measured closed course race speed of 234 mph.

That is what I’m talking about. Except for the 390. I’ll probably have Ly-Con build me something a little better :D

Anybody know if this is still an option out there? There was a gorgeous slider fastback at OSH. The owner wasn't the builder and I really didn't engage him much.

Most of the search posts are pretty old. Almost done fixing this one up and contemplating a new start next spring. Showplanes would be my second choice.

The recent completion on the homepage piqued my curiosity. . .

Thanks,
JV

I looked into this a number of years ago. At the time, Tom Clark was no longer was making the slider turtle back kit, and when I contacted show planes, they pretty much said, “why would you ever want a slider?” I know, it’s a personal preference…. So I think you would have to make your own slider. When I was looking to buy an RV8, I looked at a slider fast back in Montana, and it was an Art Chard builder assist. All the parts including the slider and turtle deck parts were home grown. It didn’t look too difficult. Show planes will sell you all of the turtle deck parts less the canopy, so all you would have to make is the slider.

Was the picture vans posted today of an 8 a slider fastback? I couldn't tell

There was a completion on the Vans site. It’s a slider fast back and a speed slope wind screen (as best you can do with the luggage compartment opening). Might be worth contacting the builder for some information on building the slider.

Attachments

• 24E3A2C9-5CA9-41FF-9CC8-B31081486678.jpg
    24E3A2C9-5CA9-41FF-9CC8-B31081486678.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 340
At the time, Tom Clark was no longer was making the slider turtle back kit, and when I contacted show planes, they pretty much said, “why would you ever want a slider?” I know, it’s a personal preference….

Speaking from a functional standpoint, a windshield-canopy junction is a significant drag producer. For sure, it's a visual obstacle as compared to a seamless bubble. The slider also compares poorly in a comparison of ingress and egress ease, and rear baggage access.

Speaking from a functional standpoint, a windshield-canopy junction is a significant drag producer. For sure, it's a visual obstacle as compared to a seamless bubble. The slider also compares poorly in a comparison of ingress and egress ease, and rear baggage access.

Those are excellent points to consider. I guess my only reason for preferring the slider (purely personal taste), is the intersection of the aft canopy and the turtle deck on the Showplanes kit. The lines just aren't the same as a Rocket.

I know the snark will say, "just build a Rocket." Then a whole other set of "reasons" or "tastes" enter the decision matrix. . . :eek:

Probably it sounds like its an SP for me. Given the lead time and my desire to build slow, it's a decision that is at least 24 months away.

I haven't seen Tom in a few years, since he moved to the Reno area.. Best chance is at the base of the tower at OSH. At the time, he wasn't interested in making any kits but who knows, maybe retirement has left a void. I'll try the number I have for him.

You're in Bakersfield? Should be some local talent there entirely capable of fabricating a slider frame.

I figured you couldn't resist, Dan! :)

I haven't seen Tom in a few years, since he moved to the Reno area.. Best chance is at the base of the tower at OSH. At the time, he wasn't interested in making any kits but who knows, maybe retirement has left a void. I'll try the number I have for him.

Even if he has no interest in resuming making parts, a set of plans would be very helpful.

Still one of the best looking 8's in my book Deene.

Thanks, Doug…

Indeed! I was honored to sniff through the many details in Deene's shop during construction. A beautiful airplane (it's not easy being Green!). Where is it now? It was definitely a motivating factor for my "current" build.

Back