What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X layout in Tip-Up 6?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi,

1) does anyone have a pictures of their G3x touch layout in a tip-up?

I am going with a 10in screen,650,AP head, gtr200 and remote adsb unit.

2) how did you modify the bracket which hold the panel to accommodate the 10in screen?

3) where did you put all the units behind the panel?

Thanks,
D

my panel

I have 2 G3X touch (GDU 460 & GDU 465), GMA 245, GTN 650xi, GTR 200, GTX 345, GMC 307.

I made the instrument panel 1" lower (taller?) to accommodate my switch/buttonology & breakers.

I relocated the ribs to each side of the radio stack.

The GAD 27, GAD 29, GEA 24 are mounted on sub-panel behind the MFD. The GSU 25 is mounted on the back of the PFD.

-- Regrets --

Should have used GDL 51R for SXM instead of GDU 465 (XM weather data is not shareable between GDU 465 and 460)
Should have used GMC 507 instead of GMC 307 (easier to wire)

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 316
Say what?

Should have used GDL 51R for SXM instead of GDU 465 (XM weather data is not shareable between GDU 465 and 460)

Say what? I did the gdu460 and GDL 51R. I was cursing myself for not using a gdu465 instead. Wiring up the gdl 51r and finding a spot for it is a pain. It has to be close to horizontal, gets lots of wires, etc.

Now you are saying I did the right thing?
I’m a poet but dont know it.
Thanks for the feedback, I guess my cursing was due to ignorance; I feel better now.

Last edited:
Say what? I did the gdu460 and GDL 51R. I was cursing myself for not using a gdu465 instead. Wiring up the gdl 51r and finding a spot for it is a pain. It has to be close to horizontal, gets lots of wires, etc.

Now you are saying I did the right thing?
I’m a poet but dont know it.
Thanks for the feedback, I guess my cursing was due to ignorance; I feel better now.

You did it correctly IHMO -- the GDU 465 doesn't "share" the Sirius XM data, or the Sirius Radio tuning functionality with the GDU 460....

Hey Brian, thanks for the pics. That makes total sense to relocate the brackets. I will probably only relocate one as I plan on only one screen.

But this is very helpful!

Thanks,
D

Just me

Hey Brian, thanks for the pics. That makes total sense to relocate the brackets. I will probably only relocate one as I plan on only one screen.

But this is very helpful!

Thanks,
D

You might consider making provisions that alllow accommodating two screens now. It will be very difficult to relocate the other bracket in the future.

Hi,

1) does anyone have a pictures of their G3x touch layout in a tip-up?

I am going with a 10in screen,650,AP head, gtr200 and remote adsb unit.

2) how did you modify the bracket which hold the panel to accommodate the 10in screen?

3) where did you put all the units behind the panel?

Thanks,
D

I took a different approach than what I have seen out there. I have a 7A T/U and using the standard Vans panel with all the following items on the panel.
Dual 10" G3X. G5, GTN650xi, GMA245, GTR200, GMC507.

I cut a hole for the center stack avionics in the sub panel and surrounded it with angle. Above and below the hole cutout I have angle running horizontal. The top piece you can see in the picture and the bottom piece I mounted on the forward side of the subpanel. You can see the rivets for the bottom angle piece. The architecture of the center stack frame is extremely strong an possibly a bit over the top in construction. I figured that 20lbs of avionics at 6G can get get a little heavy for that thin subpanel not to mention the large hole cutouts in the panel for 2 screens and a full center stack. I even strengthened the panel where the top outside corners of the screens get close to the panel edge.

This was just my approach using the standard panel Van's supplied. Others may share something you prefer better.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 182
I have 2 G3X touch (GDU 460 & GDU 465), GMA 245, GTN 650xi, GTR 200, GTX 345, GMC 307.

I made the instrument panel 1" lower (taller?) to accommodate my switch/buttonology & breakers.

I relocated the ribs to each side of the radio stack.

The GAD 27, GAD 29, GEA 24 are mounted on sub-panel behind the MFD. The GSU 25 is mounted on the back of the PFD.

-- Regrets --

Should have used GMC 507 instead of GMC 307 (easier to wire)

Brian,
Very Nice Panel work.
Can I ask you what switches you have and where did you get them?
Ken

Congrats on the panel Brian :cool:
Shall I ever feel the urge to update my dual G5/GNX375 combo sure would have me shamelessly copy your hardware and layout, well thought out.

Having just gone through the process of retrofitting a G3X dual-screen panel to an RV-6 with a tip-up canopy:

Layout photo attached.

There's enough room between the panel and subpanel for the GDUs, ADHARS (bolted to the back of the PFD), G5, GMC and shunt. There's a penetration in the subpanel for a GMA340, a GNS430W and a map box. Circuit breaker field under the map box.

Attached to the firewall side of the subpanel: GTR20 VHF. The stiffeners which run between the firewall and subpanel carry the GEA24, GDL50R, GAD29. A lighting bus is bolted underneath the map box, a Trig TT21 ADS-B-Out transponder is bolted to the rear face of the map box. Manifold pressure and oil pressure sensors are on the cold side of the firewall. Red cube is on the main fuel line inside the cockpit. Andair gascolator on the hot side of the firewall.

(yes, I know the red cube should ideally be placed downstream of the last fuel pump, but it works, so here we are...)

A "patch" was placed over the subpanel to fill-in penetrations from several previous generations of panel. There were big holes in it to make room for a steam-gauge sixpack. Cutting more out of it for the GNS430/GMA340 would have reduced its structural integrity unacceptably, so that got fixed with a sheet of alclad, about 30 rivets, and a piece of 90º angle along the bottom as a stiffener. Bulletproof now.

- mark

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 137
  • cutouts.jpg
    cutouts.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 131
Back