What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quirky Things Seen From The Air in Your RV

seen along I4 Florida..........
turbo.7.jpg

When he gets the other half finished

... he's going to stick one of those sheep in there and accelerate it to .99C

As it approaches light speed, the sheep will get very short and massive. It will then be sold at an inflated price based on prevailing market prices for mutton on the hoof.

A relatively genius plan.

As it approaches light speed, the sheep will get very short and massive. It will then be sold at an inflated price based on prevailing market prices for mutton on the hoof.

Let us assume a spherical sheep of uniform density... :)

It looks like Carol Dunkin's house. She got half of the donut fortune when she divorced Jim Dunkin...

If you ask me, it's much ado about mutton... :D

The web address was garbled up in your OP. Replace the two Red x's in the line below with G, and it will show up fine.

[IMx]http://a68.tinypic.com/2133o8o.jpg[/IMx]

The "G's" were there and there were no "X's" showing up....but I still repost the link.

iy0ndv.jpg

2133o8o.jpg

Can anyone see the pictures?...I still can't see them on my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday Canada

A maize maze near Thamesville Ontario celebrating Canada's 150th. Its probably had some wear & tear from lost folk and the picture is not the greatest. But - with a good eye you might see, 2017 CANADA 150 in a maple leaf, CASE IH Agriculture, hockey sticks, a moose, Cdn parliament bldg, a Canada goose, an Inuit sculpture, or maybe a lost soul.

http://halie.com/ogN.png

Last edited:
I like to fly on Christmas morning with my son. The airspace is empty, if the weather is good I can whizz around to a couple of folks houses and give them an Xmas twirl.

We were going from my airplane partner's house to ours at around 3,000' when I espied a kiddies balloon - all silvery and glinting. I said to Tom - Watch This !

Oh yea baby - nailed it and even heard the 'pop' as it burst.

Chuckling to ourselves, we carried on, did a 195kt ILS at our local (closed, but tower manned) regional field and brightened their morning and completed our flight before going for Christmas lunch.

Move on 5 months when we did the annual and I removed the plenum......

Yup - sat at the back of the plenum chamber was the remains of a balloon :eek:

So - if you do zap a balloon - just check afterwards :D

P.S. I hope I didn't spoil some kid's Christmas as he or she saw their balloon get burst ;)

Ages ago, I was flying to the west coast from here in Colorado. I was somewhere around Barstow, maybe west of there, and definitely past Edwards AFB, I saw a long narrow incandescent glow. It started, grew bright, and receded, all in less than a minute. It was on the ground for sure.

I don't know if it was something that heated up, something that just happened to reflect some sunlight just right, or something that heated and cooled. Could have been any of that or something else, I guess.

Being familiar with the area and having a Sectional at hand, I was able to estimate its distance from me at about 85 miles. And judging from the angle it covered on my windshield, it must have been around three miles long.

I called it in to Flight watch and they were speechless. Another airplane, nearby, came up and said that they'd seen the same thing and confirmed that my description was accurate.

We never did learn what it was and I still don't know. It's a UGO, an unidentified ground object, I suppose.

Dave

Strange Glow Between Barsto and EAFB

Could have been the Solar One demonstration project that was near Barstow back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solar_Project

It created some strange glowing light across the desert under the right conditions. The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System south of Las Vegas uses similar solar tower technology and can be seen glowing from many miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

I have seen some interesting light effects off of the Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) installations as well. There is one at Kramer Junction between EAFB and Barstow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Energy_Generating_Systems

-larosta

Could have been the Solar One demonstration project that was near Barstow back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solar_Project

It created some strange glowing light across the desert under the right conditions. The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System south of Las Vegas uses similar solar tower technology and can be seen glowing from many miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

I have seen some interesting light effects off of the Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) installations as well. There is one at Kramer Junction between EAFB and Barstow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Energy_Generating_Systems

-larosta

I've seen one by Tonopah very impressive.

It certainly wasn't that - first, it was way on the west northwest end of Edwards AFB (I spent about five years working at Edwards and lived in the area), clear on the far side of the AFB from where I was, and second, I did the structural analysis of the heliostats on what was probably Solar One, and knew where it was and what it looked like.

This was a very long linear feature.

The structural analysis of those mirrors, by the way, was fascinating. It wasn't the strength that was the important thing, as long as there was enough of it, but the stiffness. We were mostly interested in where the beam would reflect (that is, how far from the predicted aim point would the beam actually be), and if the mirror would curve (and oh, yeah, it did) and what the shape of the beam path would be, under the temperature changes and wind loadings. At any rotation position.

That was my first introduction to the art of structural analysis for optical systems. Years later, consulting in that field eventually let me retire.

Dave

Solar Array Near Las Vegas

Took these photos last April 2017, these are real close to Las Vegas-West of.
Solar_Near_LVegas4.jpg

Solar_Tower.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Took these photos last April 2017, these are real close to Las Vegas-West of.
Solar_Near_LVegas4.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Neat, unless you are a bird.... From the LA Times...

A macabre fireworks show unfolds each day along I-15 west of Las Vegas, as birds fly into concentrated beams of sunlight and are instantly incinerated, leaving wisps of white smoke against the blue desert sky.

Workers at the Ivanpah Solar Plant have a name for the spectacle: "Streamers."

Ocular glare hazzard

Same plant as in Vlad's pic, near Tonopah NV. It's listed on the sectional as an "Ocular glare hazzard."

qT0HYED9yTcWo-Hp6FOljmN5KuNeHrZh_hIBsT7vN7qN-pmsNcpZi-bZv5hV0sbkOIWpF4gbAWDHj6n8jLGfHqxnrQUP_7T_AMRHofZ_-IlVnPjhXOKQdqHuU_BpoBysJoB7r8fmU6Ogozf9A9gq_dTM8tv_yjLvZf4FeHSGqbhOdkc7VIpKLWQUBzisfYIureZnaRiQz8x2oxOni-tRrQNSGBESUULP-ELl7CelfKxf-Ero5zZUkAt_6z6FKbFiVtzlrHINc141VOPEhSLOlcUmm_R5e-J87lc0w6dt16cXLMDk_xXwsmfdc4M3zvd744a5B7qOUdLZH1le506Y9xLnlgc8EvzylfOstD_PTt8_JzEFH7axEAAgBxIUqg_1xIZg2ZX7WilMFqNt5Ox6PMyqLGkez1dhTqljhBwME5b9V-9xL8xVG02IE4EuzQL26IJ0TICB8gJorPKUBPjJzZ9z_CJgr9HD5zFE98BD5dQUSqfefIjEtxMEvZOw9IFGFYkqheQ-oH7TovyMK8oDOmYkxoaS0RUDa_gGSP969G7SVl5zpeFQyxbIASsysS9Nykkd7aKo6ImWFsCHXH5zbDcDGqjvItkiD7i_mHSQ=w1123-h682-no

The Ivanpah array is really cool. Passed by on a recent trip. Didn't look at the flashes camera did. :D

Back