What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tangier Island

Just checked my photo albums on the laptop - much more accessible than the pilot logbook - it was July of last year. How time flies! We had a nice day-trip visit last summer. Pics attached.

I learned last time I was there, maybe 20 years ago, that Tangier has a way of entering hibernation for the winter that can catch the unwary off guard. Made an overnight trip right after Labor Day only to discover after our arrival that the B&B we were staying at was the only place on the island to eat besides the grocery store where we scrounged milk and nabs for "supper." There were no other eats to be had beyond the B&B's breakfast the next morning. As we had our hearts set on crab cakes and the like, it was a major disappointment.

Moral: call ahead and see what will be open on the island on the date of your planned trip. You may be glad you did.

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4234.jpg
    IMG_4234.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4235.jpg
    IMG_4235.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 160
Tangier

Thanks Bill, I saw you went to Koracoke, is it the same there? We were looking at September 23 or so. We can’t miss Petit Jean.
Thanks

I flew into there about 4 months ago. Restaurants were open but extreamily crowded. We ended up not eating there. It is a short walk from the runway to town. Years ago, there was someone there to take your "landing fee". Now, there is a lockbox that you can stuff your money in.

Ocracoke is a much more "happening place" than Tangier. I'm under the impression that much of the tourism infrastructure there is in operation until the end of October-ish. Howard's Pub has a reputation for being open 365/yr except for hurricanes. You'll want more than just that one venue open to support an overnight stay, but at least you'd always have some place to eat no matter when you went.

Took a friend there about a month ago who's been really wanting to see it. $10 landing fee donation into the previously mentioned lockbox. I've never seen the airfield attended and I've stopped in occasionally over the last 5 years. I've never overnighted since its local and my personal opinion is that its....just Ok. Worth a trip if you've never been but not a destination I frequent.

Be mindful of all the the Pax restricted airspace. Its mostly free passage under 3500 and on the weekends is usually cold which opens things up. R-6609 on the west side of the island can more regularly be active on weekends as approach uses that as the playground for the local guard unit F-16s that are weekend warrioring.

Okracoke is much better than Tangier. Tangier is more of a "lunch stop", and Okracoke is more of a "stay the weekend" place.

The thing to be aware of for Tangier, aside from a couple restaurants, there is nothing there. You can walk a lap around the entire island in like an hour and you will have seen everything. I found Tangier to be fairly depressing, as there are a lot of old, failing structures that the residents can't afford to fix.

Back