What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

API tailwheel in business?

davidkarlsberg

Well Known Member
I am looking for a replacement 4 inch tailwheel for my plane. After a few calls and emails to API they haven't responded. Does anyone know if they are in business and how I could order a new one or a replacement wheel that will work? Thanks!

Following

Same situation, no response when checking for a tailwheel for my Champ project.
Figs

API

Does anyone pass their workshop or premises that could verify if they are still in business.

Rob

An update.... I have not heard back from API but Aircraft spruce sells a compatible 4 inch replacement wheel. It's a "homebuilders tail wheel" and it's called. "REPL WHEEL 4X1.5X5/8 BB NATURL" Part# 06-03500.

An update.... I have not heard back from API but Aircraft spruce sells a compatible 4 inch replacement wheel. It's a "homebuilders tail wheel" and it's called. "REPL WHEEL 4X1.5X5/8 BB NATURL" Part# 06-03500.

That is not a "compatible" wheel, it IS the wheel... API manufactures the "Homebuilders Special" unit.

Last edited:
Aviation Products Still There

API is the next town up the hill from me and I managed to get Karen on the phone. She’s aware of everybody’s disappointment and is dealing with major supplier chaos like lots of businesses these days, plus dealing with her father’s death. A couple of examples, she sent a batch of parts out for case hardening, normally a 3 or 4 day job. They told her it would be a week and a half this time, a month and a half ago. Still no parts. Her local Mom and Pop plate shop went out of business, finally succumbing to California’s onerous rules. It’s been hard finding another shop. And so on. She did say she’s hoping to get parts out soon but could not quantify what soon means. I wish I had better news for ya’ll.

Last edited:
I'd say they are out of business. I needed some replacement parts. Left 3 phone messages and 4 emails over the last two months. No response. So the API tailwheel is pretty much unsupported at this point if you need the small key that goes inside or replacement yoke if it wears out. Very disappointing.

I have an API 6124, its solid 4" rubber wheel dual fork with 45 angle mount. was 350 new, used it about a year, make offer, great condition tire has some wear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213-165126_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213-165126_Opera.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 58
I ordered a new tailwheel from Karen a few months ago. No response to a couple of requests but eventually., she called and mailed one out.

Back