What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root fairing fastener size?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Has anybody ever used #6 screws here instead of the #8's that the plans call out? There's not a lot of edge distance on that fairing strip for a number 8 dimple and I'm wondering about distortion.

If so, how did that work out. Less distortion? better finish? can't tell the difference? horrible choice?

inquiring minds want to know.

p.s. I'm normally not a fan on #6 screws when I have room to stick in a #8. Also wonder about the smaller head size. Just a random thought that occurred to me...

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question... is that problem occurring with the rubber seal fitted on the root?

The #6 screws have noticeably less meat in them than #8 so I don't know that I'd go that way... would probably rather cut a new aluminum fairing strip.

As soon as you break or strip a couple of those small #6 screws you will know the reason you should have put in the #8's.
I assure you that you will be removing the fairings in the future.
Save your self the trouble and put in the #8's
I can't see mine flying at 180 MPH or even when I'm upside down so why fight what works.
My three cents worth Art

This may be a dumb question... is that problem occurring with the rubber seal fitted on the root?

The #6 screws have noticeably less meat in them than #8 so I don't know that I'd go that way... would probably rather cut a new aluminum fairing strip.

Not a dumb question at all. But maybe I wasn't clear with what I'm asking: I'm only just match drilling all that and haven't final sized the pilot holes yet. But, even before trimming for that gasket, the pre punched pilot holes are pretty close to the edge. It just occurred to me that a smaller dimple might get a prettier finish.

Having said that, it would have to be a spectacular difference in order for me to want to use a 6 there instead of an 8. But you never know what you don't know until you ask.

Distortion

The fairings are pretty thin, so you could distort them with an 8 or a 6 size screw that is over tighten. With tank screws involved I think it looks better with all 8s instead of a mixture of 8s and 6s but that’s just my opinion.

Back