What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosun vxi wingtip vs. Original?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_96

What is everyone thinking about the wingtips that Van's has added to the online store for RV-10/14? They look to be very similar to the Aveo ZipTips.

1) Does it make sense to consolidate all of the lighting into the wing tips?
2) Carbon fiber versus fiberglass?
3) Pro's and Con's?
4) Would you still install a landing light, if not what would you do about the hole in the leading edge?

The part numbers for these tips are: LN AEROSUN WINGTIPS 10/14 and LN AEROSUN WINGTIPS 10/14-CF

ZipTips

I'm planning to use the ZipTips, and have ordered the skins without the holes for the landing lights.

I have Zip Tips and I plan to keep the stock leading edge light location, for multiple reasons.

More light is better, in my opinion.

Zip Tips and the new Vans integrated wingtip use a proprietary light. That’s great, until you can’t get a replacement. Admittedly, I’m thinking a very long way down the road. The leading edge position will take any PAR 36 bulb which should always be available.

More light is better, in my opinion.

I learned this morning that the carbon fiber version is about 1.4# lighter per side but if you want to use a wingtip antenna (Archer Antenna) then you need to go with the fiberglass version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back