What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing WH-00125

77bonanza

I tried to search for tips for installing WH-00125 and found none. I am at wits end trying to install this harness. What have you done to get the wiring thru the holes as the connectors are all larger than the holes. At this point I'm thinking about cutting the wiring, install thru the holes then reattach with D-subs and cover with heat shrink.

Thoughts and PICTURES are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

I am working on my harnesses currently. If I had any problems with pulling the harness through a hole I pulled the pins out of the connectors and ran them
To there destination. I had to replace a couple pins and plastic connectors in the process. But I did not cut any wires. I wish the harness was longer at the end of the big D sub connectors because I had to exstend every wire that will be going to the panel switches. I think this harness is mainly focused on using the vertical power units.

Wiring harness

You might have to take off the shells from the plug and then you can turn it sideways and posh it through the holes. Also you might try this before you install the plastic grommets in hole. Cut them and install over the wires and into the holes.

I was able to run everything, but I had to cut several grommets. The very worst ones were the runs to the sticks. Be patient and you should be able to get everything run.

77'

I recall the harness being a lot more work than I thought it would be. However, I don't recall having to remove anything to get the main wires run...perhaps I did and just don't remember. It would be pretty easy to remove the Molex connectors at the aft end to make running the lines easier. Here's what I do remember:

• Main lines were too long (saw this on multiple web sites). So in the end, I removed the Molex connectors and shortened the runs.
  • Lines to the sticks were a nightmare and were too short.
  • Forward ends (with the large connectors) were far too long. Called the mother ship and was told "better too long than too short".
  • Lines to headset jacks were too short.
  • Lines to wings are too long (easily shortened)

One thing nice about the Molex connectors used is that the .093 pins are easily removed and replaced.

A couple of thoughts:
  • Don't install the snap bushings until the lines are run. You'll have to split them...your going to do that either way so run the lines first.
  • Lace the runs, makes it easier to control and run...looks nice too.
  • You'll likely need extensions to go to the sticks....order them now.

In the end I made them all work. Ultimately, I'd by the harness again as building it from scratch would be more difficult and time consuming than making it look nice and work. It would be nice to be able to by the harness without all the connectors attached. Probably can, just call Stein and order w/o connectors.

Last edited:
My build buddy installed the snap bushings before trying the harness. I only noticed what he was doing when he was done. He thought installing them was very difficult without the harness. He hadn’t worked on planes before but caught on quickly. They were twice as hard to remove so that the harness could be installed first.
The harness is a challenge to install but take your time and follow the advice above. Ask an experienced builder for a bit of help, most of us don’t mind.

Vans advised me to install the WH-00125 as late as possible. When is that? After which section? I’m starting section 36, Aileron and Elevator systems.

Tunnel

The tunnel can get pretty crowded especially if you have return fuel lines. Earlier is better. Not sure why Vans would say later......

Last edited:
If I built another RV-14, I would put the wiring harness in around the time I pop-riveted the baggage area interior. That includes WH-00125, the instrument panel, and the wires through the firewall.

Thanks for the replies
I installed it right before starting Section 36.
I had started section 36 and decided to hold off and install the WH-00125 harness. That seems to be the best time to do it, just before section 36.
The tunnel can get pretty crowded especially if you have return fuel lines. Earlier is better. Not sure why Vans would say later......
I think the reasoning was, don’t install it too early as it stands a good chance of getting damaged.

A couple things that helped with the snap bushings,

20230523_192737.jpg

20230523_192032.jpg

20230510_172349.jpg

Back