What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 wiring question(s)

mke039

I am removing an old Narco MK12D and replacing it with a Garmin 430 non waas.

I am unclear where to splice which Narco wires to which pins on the Garmin connectors.

The Narco has 5 wires coming out of the Com connector (which corresponds with the 4002 connector on the Garmin)

1. Mike Key

2. Mike Audio

3. Speaker Out

5. Low level Phones

6. Low level Audio Out

These go to the 4002 connector, but I am unclear about where.

Also, obviously a newby to Avionics wiring, where do the corresponding "LOW" wires connect to from the Garmin?

ie: com mic audio low, com audio low. There is no corresponding wires coming out of the Narco radio.

Any help,, or reference to educational material would be appreciated.

I have the manual. It is the descriptions of the wires that has me confused.

There is no pin in the Garmin manual labeled "Speaker Out"

There is no "com mic audio LO" from the Narco radio

nor a "com audio LO"

It is confusing to me but I bet someone has figured this out before me!

Narco Wires

I have attached the pin out from the Narco MK12D with wires present circled.

Attachments

• Narco pin out--.pdf
    651.7 KB · Views: 219
When you see a ‘mike Lo’ or similar, it’s an attempt to keep electrical noise on the ground wires out of sensitive parts. If you don’t have ‘Lo’ connections on a certain box, just use that box’s ground instead.
You didn’t ask, but: Splices, connectors, etc., are always a trouble spot 10 years down the road. It’s more work, but I would rip out all the old wiring (and connectors) and use new wire everywhere. Ten years from now your back will thank me.

Stein sent me the pdf. The connections are the same

I literally just did the same thing (swapping in 430 for an old MK12d). ended up having to trace all the wires back to the intercom. its still giving me ****, not getting any transmit out. did you have any luck wrapping yours up?

More modern radios (430) do not have audio amplifiers built in, so they cannot drive a speaker. If you want to do so you’ll need a small audio amplifier, or an audio panel with one built in.
The low level 500 ohm audio output is obsolete. Use the 300 ohm audio out, as shown.
I again suggest new pins, new wire, not splicing. But be aware, the connectors on the back of the 430 are of two different types, some are regular d-Sub pins, some are ‘high density’. Use the correct ones.

Last edited:
Got it.

Yes I got it wired up and working fine.
I attached the Narco pin out here. I used the low level phones from the Narco to connect to the com hi on the garmin. Everything works as it should.

I just ignored the speaker output from the Narco. Pins 3 and E were just Jumper'd together, and did not have an output.

I bought a premade 430 harness and that saved me a lot of time. The only additional wiring was to the Altitude digitizer (9 wires) which also works great.

Attachments

• Narco pin out--.pdf
    651.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Back