What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Mounted ELT

longline

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted an ELT in the cockpit of the RV8? I would prefer to have it at hand, instead of having a remote in the panel and the ELT mounted in the baggage area.
The EBC 406AP might work, but I need to have the display visible from the seated position. Not sure that I can get one with the G switch oriented such that it can be seen.

I went through the same thought process when I built my -9. I did not want my ELT behind the rear bulkhead, where it would take a tool and a good bit of time to get to it.

While different than your -8, this might give you an idea or two.

I cut an access hole in my baggage compartment floor and mounted the ELT trail to the side of one of the floor ribs. The trap door I made is held in place by some oversized thumb screws. I thought they might be in the way but that has not been an issue. My thinking was that should I be hurt in an accident, I should be able to get to the ELT with one hand and attach the antenna.

The antenna has a couple of layers of shrink tubing on it so it will stay secure when slid in an adel clamp. The adel clamp is held in place by one of the screws that secures the flap arm on the right side.

Here are a couple of pictures:

(Click to enlarge)

Scott - the EBC406AP is an excellent ELT. It is also pretty small. I would suggest you make a cardboard mockup of the unit and see how it might fit in the airplane.

i installed the ebc 406 ap in my 8 on the right side just in front of the spar against the switch panel. not in the way of anything.

Bdrac

did you manage that installation with the control panel of the ELT being visible while seated? If so, this is looking more and more like the installation I will be doing.

bdrac

thanks for the reply. I had thought that particular area, forward of the spar, under the switch panel and aft of the gear leg tower, was probably where I could place the ELT. Good to know that information.

Back