What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB/ForeFlight Question

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hi,
I am having ADSB issues and hoping someone has had a similar issue.
For ADSB In I am using a ForeFlight Sentry receiver and an iPad.
For ADSB out I am using a Uavionix echo uat with a Uavionix Skyfyx-Ext. I am aware that the Uavionix Echo will do ADSB In but for now I am using my Sentry receiver for ADSB In.
My issue. When I go into ForeFlight and check my “ownship” status while in flight it shows that my airplane is detected and I observed that it is reporting the correct speed and altitude. When I check Flight Aware or ask nearby aircraft they are not showing me. I tried to run the FAA PAPR report but was unsuccessful.
I am wondering if I might have an antenna issue? Is it possible that my sentry receiver is receiving the info from my adsb out coax or the Echo if my antenna is not broadcasting?
Hope I made sense...

If your PAPR is not available you may have an ICAO code error in the UAVIONIX Out. Mine was wrong initially, and a fat finger had me reporting as a French plane. If no one is picking you up it sounds like you have an antenna issue. Have you tried asking ATC if they are receiving your ADS-B Out? When mine went out to lunch Center told me right a way.

There are relatively few UAT receivers on the ground that feed the online tracking websites. In central NJ here, there's probably 2 (me and someone else on the other side of the county).. additionally, since UAT airborne transmitters are relatively low power (not 250 watts like 1090ES), the range is pretty limited.. at least when it comes to trying to hear distant signals from the ground.

It is possible that your onboard receiver is hearing leakage, but the signal isnt making it out the antenna. Are you located far from an ATC facility/coverage / middle of nowhere, USA?

your echo is connected to a 978 antenna on the belly of the airplane, right?
and, is the echo in anonymous mode, or not?
Flight aware and radar 24 will not show anonymous airplanes...

PAPR

Get a good report THEN start your trouble shooting. What errors are you getting from papr report, or are you getting nothing back ie: not seen ?

Foreflight ADSB Out Check

If you are transmitting ADSB Out your data will be sensed by the Sentry and can be shown beneath the Foreflight Devices - Sentry icon.

It's been my experience with the uAvionix Echo the antenna connection is less than robust and can easily disconnect at the unit.

For what it's worth, I use Sentry on my iPad mini over uAvionix In because Sentry also provides AHRS and CO detection.

Pipistrel Virus
RV-12
Samba XXL

A few thoughts...

This one can be a bit tricky to diagnose, in party because that "Devices" "Ownship" value in ForeFlight is a bit misleading.

The Sentry (and most other ADS-B receivers on the market) have an onboard GPS which it uses to generate the "ownship" GDL-90 message. This goes over the Wifi connection to ForeFlight, and is what ForeFlight uses to plot your aircraft's location on the map. This will work even if your ADS-B Out is not working.

The ownship message is a special variation on the standard Traffic message that represents your aircraft. It includes the current location, altitude, ground track, and ground speed information from the GPS along with some identity information. If you're basing your assumption that the Out device is working purely on the "Ownship - Detected: N12345" under Devices then beware. ForeFlight isn't necessarily telling you that your ADS-B Out is transmitting, it's just telling you it's getting ownship messages from your In device.

The configuration app for the Echo UAT should let you check to see if the unit is working and if it's getting valid data from the SkyFyx. I would start by confirming that it has a valid configuration (proper ICAO code, registration, etc.) and that it has valid location info.

When the Echo is working properly you should see the little red LED blink every second, indicating that it's transmitting. If you're not seeing the blinks, the Echo isn't transmitting. Check the settings and power connections. If the app looks good and the LED is blinking as expected, I would suspect an antenna or cable issue.

Thanks

Hey Folks,
Thank's for all the info! I really appreciate it.
I mistakenly thought one antenna was for Out and one was for In. Contacted uAvionix. Turns out the Echo uses 1 antenna for both. I'm embarrassed that I never thought about " hey, where's my xpdr antenna?". In my original post I stated I broke the "In" antenna and was using a Sentry for In info.
So I have 2 antennas. The back one is for ADSB and the front for xpdr. Seems simple now lol.
Now to pull the fuel tank to access my antenna...

Back