What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Define "Bonding?"

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm enjoying (not!) the fiberglass portion of this build. Cowlings and fairings etc. A word gets used here commonly, "bond" these pieces together. I've assumed this means to use fiberglass epoxy as an adhesive to connect and permanently bond things. But the other day, I noticed that I had some Sikaflex adhesive that I used to "bond" the canopy to the cradle on a fastback -8.

So, does "bonding" mean adhesive like Sikaflex, or fiberglass resin and hardener?

Structural

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, so just in case it is….

If it is structural, i use fiberglass resin or ec2216, if canopy to fiberglass, or something with a thermal expansion mismatch I use sikaflex

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, so just in case it is….

If it is structural, i use fiberglass resin or ec2216, if canopy to fiberglass, or something with a thermal expansion mismatch I use sikaflex

Well summarized. Bond implies structural. If no load is carried across the joint it is “sealing”.

Bonding

If it's bonded like the upper intersection fairings to the leg fairings, I use 2216 or G-Flex. I also "bonded" empennage tips with G-flex. The suff is really tenacious. I recently out a couple parts together and used waxed section of glass so they would be perfectly flat. I had to break and grind off the glass.

Back