What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord engine mounts

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I have my motor at the plane and am ready to mount it. How does one get all four Lord mounts in? I understand that it can be a real pain, anyone know of a video or a gouge on the process?

One at a time works. I replaced all of my motor mounts and it was no big deal. Just don't tighten any until they are all connected.

-Marc

Todd that article is the same type I see on YouTube with a Dynafocal mount where the shock biscuits are in large holes in the mount. My mount had only the bolt and the shock rubber mounts in the ears on the motor.

I am not sure all -10’s are like mine but here is a picture.

Attachments

• 7FA26289-086F-4481-B1EF-047AD98147C7.jpg
    7FA26289-086F-4481-B1EF-047AD98147C7.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 95
  • E825C720-6D13-4BF5-B62F-6BB1DA4DDA6C.jpeg
    E825C720-6D13-4BF5-B62F-6BB1DA4DDA6C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Todd that article is the same type I see on YouTube with a Dynafocal mount where the shock biscuits are in large holes in the mount. My mount had only the bolt and the shock rubber mounts in the ears on the motor.

I'd think the general process (which is what I followed, but not religiously) is still applicable regardless of the actual hardware. Mine were exactly like the Plans (Section FF-1) show, which is the pic below and appears to match your pictures.

Attachments

• Lord Mount.jpg
    Lord Mount.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
This gives you the general idea. https://vansairforce.net/articles/IllustratedGuideToEngineHanging/enginehanging.htm

I did it twice by myself and for me the trick was to get the engine at just the right height and angle relative to the engine mount while hanging from the hoist to start. Then lower the engine as required to use its weight to help get the bolt holes into alignment.

+1. My experience was similar. Correct angle as well as height works.
Question. Your mounting ears *look* correct to me. But Lycoming does sell ‘long’ and ‘short’ versions. Double check you have the right parts.

Due to the angles, space is the enemy. Due to the angles, the holes only line up when the doughnuts are pulled tight. Either tighten the bolts or use clamps. I think that I put the tops bolts in then used the engine weight to pull the bottom doughuts tight (with a bit of wiggling up force to align the holes) and used a taperred shaft to get hole in alignment and tap the bolt in from the other side.

Last edited:
Back