What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please Identify?

Hawg Driver

Dear VAF,
Can anyone please help me identify this device? It is inside my battery box (RV-4) and connects to the positive side of the battery via a second main wire. (The first main wire connects to the master relay as you would expect). Thank you!

IMG_6788.HEIC

Looks like a pass-through stud. You can use that so the fat wire doesn't have to go through the battery box.

These are used more frequently on the firewall.

Thanks

There’s nothing connected on the other side of the sheet metal (left foot well), builder may have used it as a place to charge the battery on cold Utah mornings.

Thanks everyone.

There’s nothing connected on the other side of the sheet metal (left foot well), builder may have used it as a place to charge the battery on cold Utah mornings.

Thanks everyone.

Sure, but that's a fat cable just for charging. I can't tell how accessible this maybe so I'll suggest maybe a connection for jump starting?

Probably right…

You are probably right, but in the end I just needed confirmation that it wasn’t required for something.

Thanks again.

Charging fitting....?

Hey, Balls: I am looking at the photograph and assume it is taken from the port side of the battery box looking aft, correct? Is the stud that goes through that fitting exposed in the port aft footwell? If it is and this is connected to the positive pole on the battery the first thing I would do is COVER IT!!! That is a HOT pole from the battery!! Anything conductive that touches that and grounds is going to cause a major SPARK!! :eek::eek: And there are a few fuel lines in that area. It is on the port side as that is the side the canopy opens to allow easy access. I think it would also be a good idea to cover the line from the battery to that fitting as well with an insulated terminal cover to minimize something wandering back there (....oh, a miscreant pen, for example....?) and grounding it out. I'm picturing one of the terminal covers used on your starter, for example.

With my center console hiding the battery, I have a fitting (from a trailer hookup) that carries both the positive and negative wires from the battery. It is open in the footwell in about the same area as your fitting but it remains covered with a nonconductive flap when not in use, which is most of the time. That is a male fitting. The female fitting stays in my aircraft tool bag and is wired to a short length of nonconductive material (also known as wood...:p) and I can attach charger clamps to those terminals. Really handy for spiffing up the battery when needed but I think I have only used it once or twice.....:)

50 amp Superior connector. He probably wanted to jump start from it. There is a corresponding female that mates with it. (This side has the male conductor, female socket)

Back